Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Variations in Hornady bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Have I missed a Hornady announcement? I recently used up a box of Hornady 6.5mm 129SP so opened a new box and using my taped up dies loaded a cartridge that came out shorter on OAL. [Confused] My friend still had some of the old lot so we compared old and new bullets and found that the new bullets were shorter. I bought a bullet comparator and discovered that the ogive was also in different place! I checked my Hornady 6mm 87SP's ( two boxes with the same lot number stamped on the box)and guess what, there was a difference in the ogive ie; old comparator OAL 3.285" new COAL 3.297. As a check I miked the COAL to the bullet point and got 2.745" old. 2.748" new. I loaded up some rounds with the new bullets to the old comp' OAL of 3.285 (sat deeper in the neck) and not surprisingly the group spread a little but MPI moved up 1". It's a good job I like going to the range because I now have find my sweet spot [Wink] again. Is it a plot to get us to buy more Bullets?

Posts: 16 | Location: Salisbury. UK | Registered: 30 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been dealing with the same problem. I have always used the Hornady interlocks and have been very happy with them, but the new lots have changed. They don't look the same, and I can't get them to shoot like they used too. (not even close) I am to the point where I have given up on them, and I'm trying different bullets. It's a shame, because their terminal performance has always been excellent, and I have been a loyal customer for many years. I am glad you spoke up about this because I have heard of no one else having problems. I was beginning to think I was imagining how good they used to shoot. (If it weren't for the fact that I do have the old targets)....ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its common for bullet makers to change the shape of a given bullet offering. Certain styles of bullets are troublesome to produce and the tooling/run costs associated with a given bullet may make it difficult to profitably produce. Or they may want to be able to offer a bullet that will function in a wider variety of firearms and the old design had too long a nose to function through a certain firearm thus limiting its marketability. Its usually financial or marketing considerations that drive these decisions instead of ballistic superiority/design. Sierra did this to me when they redesigned the boattail on the 180 grain match king from the old long tapered boattail to the same design found on the 168 grain bullet. IMO this ruined the 180s performance at long range and I went to the 190 grainer which still have the older long boattail design. The 1,000 yard performance of the 190 is still there, IMO...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I read this I started wondering if Hornady changed the 6.5 bullet shape for the .260 remington? We have all read that the .260 is not a real accurate cartridge so this may be their way to "take advantage of or help" unhappy .260 owners find a load that will be somewhat accurate.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I ran into the same situation a few years ago with their .308 165 gr. btsp's. It was frustrating, but I was able to obtain nearly the same accuracy level with some seating depth experimentation. The new bullets did not shoot well with the same "jump" as the old ones.

Posts: 14 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arkie
Where did you hear the 260 isn't accurate? I have one and it shoots lights out. ballistics will out beat the .308 performance up to the 155 grains but after that the .308 takes over.I am not trying to start anything but am just wondering.
Matt

Posts: 49 | Location: Lincoln,NE | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
matt27,
I visit a lot of hunting/shooting forums. I didn't communicate my thought very well and for that I am sorry. I did imply the .260 wasn't accurate and that is not what I wanted to say. I have read many post that indicated .260 owners were haveing problems getting their .260 to group less than 1 1/2 MOA. Now in my book thats pretty good. Most of the replys I read on this subject indicate the rifling twist rate may be the cause and playing with bullet weight and seating depth a very accurate load can be developed for the .260. I understand the .260 was built to shoot 120 grain bullets. Most post that complain about the accuracy was shooting 140 grain bullets. I was real hot to own one until I discovered the 6.5X55. I now own three rifles in this caliber and may build another one for my wife. I really have fallen in love the .264 bullet and my personal opinion is that the .260 or 6.5X55 is probably the best all round rifle a man could want to own.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Nimrod:
Its common for bullet makers to change the shape of a given bullet offering. Certain styles of bullets are troublesome to produce and the tooling/run costs associated with a given bullet may make it difficult to profitably produce. Or they may want to be able to offer a bullet that will function in a wider variety of firearms and the old design had too long a nose to function through a certain firearm thus limiting its marketability. ...

Hey polecat, I agree with KY on his above post. You can also get variation due to New Bullet Forming Dies as the old ones wear out and are replaced. Actual Die Set-Up can have an affect on these dimensions too, but normally this is a minor amount.

One thing that will help you is to always measure the Kiss-the-Lands (OAL) distance on the first bullet coming out of a new box. (NOTE: Do this before you actually need them.) Seat the bullet with your Seating Die until that same first bullet seated in a case gives the exact same (OAL)distance.

Screw down the jam nut on the Seating Stem and carefully remove the entire Seating Die from your press. Using a 0.001" capable Caliper measure the total Overall Die Length (ODL) of the Seating Die. Write this ODL on that new box of bullets.

Now you can compare new boxes of bullets with your old ones as soon as you get them and see if you will need to redevelop the Load due to bullet variances.

It is also nice to use this method because you can "Pre-set" the Seating Die before you screw it into the press to Seat bullets from that box 0.030" Off-the-Lands or whatever distance you choose.

So yes, bullets do sometimes change, but with a bit of preparation it is normally caught before it will mess up a hunt for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for all the helpful replies, particularly Hot Core (good name). I hadn't thought of measuring the Overall Die Length but will give it a try.

Posts: 16 | Location: Salisbury. UK | Registered: 30 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you get a good load by a lot of the same lot.

If you buy enough then any changes to the bullet that have occurred when it's time to restock will be negated by the change in your rifles throat!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote