New
Find
Notify
Tools

Static electricity
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently purchased an older Pacific powder measure that is in excellent shape. Problem is what appears to be static electricity. The powder sticks to the plastic reservoir and also to the metal that measures the charge. Is this just me or am I doing something wrong. The measure is mounted on a 2x12 woodern work bench. Any help will be greately appreciated.
Stockdoc

Posts: 35 | Location: Paris America | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Get some dryer sheets and wipe down anywhere the powder touches. The light coating of detergent from the dryer sheet will keep the powder from sticking. It's a pretty common problem with plastic and powder. I haven't seen it with metal but the dryer sheet should work for that too. If not you could try grounding the powder measure. Try the dryer sheet first.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use powdered graphite on plastic parts with excellent results. I just rub it in with a paper towel and remove any loose residues. A nearly invisible coating remains to make the surface somewhat conductive, preventing any buildup of static electricity.

A pencil might work just as well, as it also deposits graphite on a surface.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam. I will try the dryer sheets first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or wait for warmer, wetter weather. December and January are the worst months for static electricity due to (usually) being both cold and dry. In addition, your heating system probably dries the air in your house considerably. Cool, dry conditions don't allow static to discharge into the air as it normally would when the air is warmer and wetter. You might find putting a humidifier in the room where you are reloading would do away with your static problem.

Or just use the drier sheets, but be sure to use the "non-scented" ones. The perfumed ones stink to high heavens.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The dryer sheets worked.
Stockdoc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work good in a tumbler too. Wink

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you leave the dryer sheet lightly crumpled in the reservoir when the measure is not in use it should be static free for the next loading session.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank's for the help from all.