Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Triple Shock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted
With all the favorable comments I've ready about the new Triple Shocks, I am tempted to try them in a new Kimber Montana .308Win.

I'm thinking of trying the 150gr T-Shocks. Any one have a Barne's manual with suggested loads or personal experience with this?

I have a generous supply of both IMR4064 and R-15 so I would like to stick to either of those powders.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

WN

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
<BCSteve>
posted
I have the Barnes manual but the triple shock are not in it, as far as I know they are not in any manuals yet. This is what they recommend for the XLC in 150 gr for the 308 Win. From what I heard the triple shock is supposed to have the same advantage as the XLC (higher velocity) without the coating. If you want to experiment with this you shouldn't be too far off.

308 Win

150 XLC
Varget max load 47.5 @ 3015 fps
BL-C(2) max load 50.0 @ 3096 fps
IMR4064 max load 46.0 @ 2998 fps

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Steve

The rifle already likes 46gr of IMR4064 with the Hornady 150 SP/IL so it looks like I have a good reference point for the TX's.

Thanks

WN

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Don't use the XLC data for TSXs. Ty Herring at Barnes specifically told me that when I questioned him about loading the TSXs. Barnes recommends using regular X bullet data, but also says that due to lower pressures with the TSXs you may be able to increase the max charge by 1-3 grains depending on case size. You should start with X data and work up though, 'cuz each rifle is different. I found that max X bullet loads were quite accurate in the two rifles I've loaded TSXs for, but I wouldn't recommend starting there. Please work up loads carefully and watch for the typical pressure signs.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
<BCSteve>
posted
It sounds like Desert Ram as more knowledge/experience than me with Barnes, I would listen to him. In that case I'll give you what Barnes recommend for the regular X.

308 Win
150 reg X

BL-C(2) max load 48.5 @ 2924 fps
IMR4895 max load 44.0 @ 2902 fps
IMR4064 max load 45.0 @ 2891 fps

Have fun experimenting,

Steve

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Steve and DR

I was going to start at 43 gr of IMR4064 and work up, anyway. Might even try IMR4895 since I have lots of that, as well.

WN