Notify
Tools

Data tracking : ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Folks

After several years as a developing reloader, I see the need for better data tracking. (No problem arriving at conclusions, but retrieval for later evaluation leaves much to be desired.)

Toward that end, I'd like to ask what sort of physical record-keeping suits you. Loose-leaf databooks and fixed page "record" books work about like they did when I was working in a paint testing group. After the write-up, not even I can remember the details after a year's time. Do y'all use individual books for each rifle? The same for a lot of brass from new to discard? Ideas, pls.

BNagel

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a regular 3 ring binder divided into sections for each caliber. Have however many pages I need for data written down. Have a few pages in front for the ongoing experiments. Trying to go by the KISS principle.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use a 3 ring binder, but have since developed my own data sheets in Excel. After entering all the loading data, I come back and insert my results as chronographed and the last column gives me the energy value for that bullet and velocity.

It's just easier for me to keep up with the data in computer than it is to record it in a hardbound. I also have it broken down to which caliber the data is a part of, that way I don't have to go thumbing through the book like I did previously.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to settle on a specific way to log data but I haven't.

Right now, I just log in note book.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I use microsoft excel.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
I use microsoft excel.

I haven't used EXCEL in awhile but it's pretty cool you can use it to build graphs for comparison etc.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Excel spreadsheet

I have a sheet for each gun I load for. On that sheet at the top I keep

Max length of magazine
COAL for each type of bullet
Comparator measurement for each typ of bullet

For the loading data

Date
Type of bullet
Weight of bullet
Ballistic Coefficient
Type of powder
Weight of powder
COAL (touching lands minus jump)
Comparator measurement
Spread
Velocity
Energy at 300 yds
Drop at 500 yds

And a big blue line across when I clean the gun to help remind me how many shots since cleaned.

Right now there are 22 sheets. Some with a lot more shooting than others. I would e-mail it to you if you PM me. You could erase the data and use it if you want.

I have 2 computers, a laptop and a PC, and transfer and update data from one to the other so I can't lose all the data if I have a problem.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my system is a complex one. I start off a project at the PC, where powder selection, charge ranges etc. are determined. This data is filled into an Excel-based form, which is then printed out, and goes to the range with me. At the range, the remaining data (velocities, group sizes etc.) are filled in (pencil). Back home, I transfer the updated info to the PC, scan the targets, insert them in the Excel spreadsheet, and print the whole lot out, to be filed in my reloading room, for subsequent loading sessions. It's cumbersome, but it works for me, and I have a hard-copy backup.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, ( en dankie Rikkie)

I may just have to learn Excel next.

BNagel

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods, does your spreadsheet just function as a template, or are their some formulas loaded in there for some purpose? If it's just a template, I think I would be interested in a copy, good idea about the compartor measurement for each type of bullet!

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Woods, does your spreadsheet just function as a template, or are their some formulas loaded in there for some purpose? If it's just a template, I think I would be interested in a copy, good idea about the compartor measurement for each type of bullet!

Regards--Don

It is just a template with the columns widths and cell formatting modified. It doesn't have any formulas in the cells. The only formula that would do any good would be ballistic information and those are more easily obtainable from Point Blank or somewhere else.

Like all spreadsheets you have to be able to modify as needed in Excel. Sometimes you have to change formatting, copy/paste or put in lines. Certainly if you know Excel you can make your own, mine would just be a template if you erased all the data or an indication of how to form one to your liking.

The data would not be that useful since every gun is a law unto itself.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are an old man with poor memory and many guns, it takes good note taking to keep from repeating the same mistakes.

On the reloading bench:
1) Handload ammo and put post its in the box telling what powder charge, bullet, and OAL.

At the range:
2) Mark on each target, while at the range, what gun, what distance, what load, chrono readings, and draw a circle around groups.

I write up a range report as soon as I get back from the range:
3) Sit down with ruler and the targets and measure group size. Mark on the target what the group size is.
4) Measure brass case heads for extractor groove expansion.
5) Compile a report of loads, group sizes, scope used, distance to the target, velocities, pressure signs, ammo seated too long, and repairs needed to equiptment.

Internet:
6) Email the range report, with the words "range report" in the title, to a pen pal with a critical eye.
7) Revise the range report and send it back to him. Thank him for taking the time to read the report.

Computer:
8) Keep the range reports handy. Draft file or Templates file can quickly be sorted for "range report" in the title. Read the range report from last time before handloading any more ammo for next time.

Targets:
9) Staple a copy of the range report to the stack of targets from that day. Put the stack in a file. Someday you may want to see a pattern, like vertical stringing.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote