Find
Notify
Tools

Please help identify these bullets!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi everyone, please help me identify these. I have posted on Medium bores but maybe it's more for this forum. They are all .338 calibre bullets. I know now # one is a 250gr Woodleigh weldcore PP, I think # 2 is a BarnesX, #3 & #4 I don't know? I'm more interested in #3 for I’ve been given a few of them and would like to know the origin to reload them. You could view the other links for top & bottom views.

Thanx
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think nr 3 is one of the older Barnes solids, I have seen a few of them in the ads before they started with the newer banded solid with a flat top.
No idea on nr 4.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
1. I don't know but Woodleigh sounds like a good guess
2. Barnes Triple Shock (not a Barnes x but Triple Shock).
3. Appears to be a Barnes solid but I am out of my depth here a bit, I don't use solids.
4. The shape appears to be a Hornady, possibly Speer but I doubt it, 90% sure it is Hornady.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
These are the closest I got from the Medium bores:

#1 Woodleigh weldcore PP
#2 Barnes x (What's the difference with Triple Shock?).
#3 A - Square - monolithic solid - 250 gr
#4 hornady spire point

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
These are the closest I got from the Medium bores:

#1 Woodleigh weldcore PP
#2 Barnes x (What's the difference with Triple Shock?).
#3 A - Square - monolithic solid - 250 gr
#4 hornady spire point

Cheers
Johan

At this point the list looks correct. Number 2 is a 225 gr Barnes TSX FB (that's what I shoot in my 338-378 Wby)... The Barnes X didn't have the bands. On the TSX the bands were added to decrease copper fouling.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At this point the list looks correct. Number 2 is a 225 gr Barnes TSX FB (that's what I shoot in my 338-378 Wby)... The Barnes X didn't have the bands. On the TSX the bands were added to decrease copper fouling.

Yes, I think so too, unless #1 is Norma Oryx. I don't think it looks quite right at the tip/meplat for that, but it could be.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote