New
Find
Notify
Tools

.260 Range test
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerTried several different loads using IMR-4064, Hornaday 100 grain spire sp bullet, new Remington cases and Federal 210 primer.
Powder load Groups @100 yards
37.0 1.5

38.0 1.0

39.0 .0625

40.0 1.5

41.0 1.5

42.0 2.0

43.0 2.0

43.5 1.750

Also shot a box of Remington 120 grain Accru tips. 2" to 2.5" groups.

39.0 the best with this combo.
Found the rifle rest I am using has a lot of side play in it no matter how tight I tighten the center locking knob. Going to build some wider feet for it and re-do the vertical adjustment by having a flat piece of metal contactin the center piece instead of the smaller bolt face. This caused me to have to hold to much and know afew shots were off because of the side wobble. Will work on the 39.0 load with IMR-4064 and try a different powder along with it next week. Might be hope yet!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
RazzerThe question is -------------- Was that .260 rifle of resent vintage as good as the fire arms (in your memory) of years gone by that we will never see again?????????

For the first go around it appears you got a winner. Almost as good as that 32 special you have found memories of. Razzerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just a note, for accuracy testing it's hard to beat the NBT. I've had diff. rifles shoot the Hornady spire points w/ varying degrees of accuracy. RL15 & VV150 are also a good fit w/ 100gr bullets. Don't over look the 100gr Sierra either. The BC is low but if you are looking for an accurate 300yd load, theses are very good.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerAlthough the one load of 39.0 grains was decent and we will see if we can do better, there is a problem with bullets going all different directions with each load. Forget factory loads. I will keep going, but plan to get a good 120 grain load. You have to remember that I am getting a lot older and have to use a rifle rest to even get a decent group. Used to cut the center out over the hood of a 1953 Studebaker pickup. Being used to to the old 1" or better shooters 1.5 just don't cut it and 2-2.5 is outrageous! Got a long way to go yet. But in all fairness the wobble in the rifle rest most likly caused the groups to be as large as they were. Will fix it and see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI also realize that there are alot of hollow points and boatails that would shoot better but I am looking for a deer round an didn't want to use them.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveIf you are in the selection stage for hunting bullets the 129gr hornady interbound may be all the bullet you need. Not too long that it will take up powder room in that short necked case but heavy enough to have an edge over the 25 calibers. With lighter bullets you'll be in 257 Robertsville. Now that ain't all bad either I suppose. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerHey I see that the 129 grain Hornday is popular and may be what I will go to. Was looking for a good load in the 120. Will look into the 129.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI have found the 129 grain bullet from Hornady in the interlock and super shock but not an Interbond, at least not at Midway USA. Will try a few more places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI went to the Hornday web sight and they show a 129 grain SST and a Interlock 129 but no Interbond. Guess the Interbond would be the better all round deer bullet. But maybe I am comparing the SST to the Nosler balistic tip as far as meat damage. I tried some 165 grain Nosler BTs in a 30/06 and my brother in law shot a deer in the shoulder with them. Said he couldn't believe the damage it did. he had to throw away a lot of meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smilerhey Bartsche
The Winchester 32 was my uncles and I was about 15 years old when they tried all those rifles out for the first time. All my family, my dad and all my uncles on his side, were expert shooters. There was a man named Pete Snow that was there and he helped them zero in. He was one of a kind in that his vision was really something. he adjusted each one of the sights and they really did cut out the center with all of them. Pete was something. I could tell a few stories about him, like the time while out hunting he bet someone he could hit the front bumper on his Ford truck as they were walking back. You could barely see the whole truck let alone the bumper. He climed he was going to change it out anyway. he took aim on a cedear tree and shot. I just knew we were going to have to walk out after we found the radiator blown out. When we got to the truck there was the dent where the .270 bullet hit the bumper. But after shooting last week I may have hunt up a recipe for cooking crow!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't reckon the dent was in the bumper before he shot and you didn't notice it?
Those old coots will have a joke on a young lad.
Big Grin
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
How about the 125gr Nosler Par.? I would think this an exc. choice for deer close & far.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1:
SmilerI have found the 129 grain bullet from Hornady in the interlock and super shock but not an Interbond, at least not at Midway USA. Will try a few more places.

I gave you a bum steer, Blob, It was interlock I was talking about. Red Faceroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Blob, sounds to me like you're doing pretty good on the load development. As far as the rifle rest......if you have a pickup truck to shoot off of, why not make yourself a shooting rack to shoot off of? It gets you up higher to spot groundhogs, and keeps you out of the ticks, if you have them there like we do in Virginia.

clap Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: USA, Virginia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote