New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol projectiles in rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyboby used the Nosler 180 grain partition projectile for the .357 mag in .35 caliber rifles? Will this projectile handle the higher velocity? Would you use this for whitetails?

------------------

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Don't have experience witht hat particlar bullet but I suspect if you start to exceed 1800-1900 fps you're start to increase your odds of failure.

You may want to try the speer 180 flat point or some of the hard cast 200 grns bullets.

What caliber you shooting?

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used handgun bullets in a 35 Whelen for plinkin and dinkin and thats about it. Handgun bullets are .357 dia and 35cal rifle bullets are .358 dia. Pistol bullets are designed for pistol velocities. Speer makes a 180gr 35cal rifle bullet (.358") so why bother? No, I wouldn't use it for whitetails.

------------------
there's a fine line between hobby and mental illnes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
Hayes4,
I have a favorite load using the Sierra 158 grain JHC pistol bullet in my .358 Win.

It shoots to .33" at 100 yards. Can you shoot pistol bullets in a rifle? YES!

------------------
stay safe and live long!

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I shoot 125gr hollow cavity pistol bullets in my .358 Norma Magnum. Velocity is about 3000fps. Faster is possible, but then many bullets don't make it to the target. :0

Of course, these loads are only for practice and varmint use as penetration will be very poor.

The fireball is pretty impressive too, as is the muzzle blast. Recoil is low though.

One advantage of the .35 cal rifle is that bullets are available from 110gr to 310gr. Versatile!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I messed around with .357 bullets in a .35 remington in a marlin lever action rifle years ago. They sure were fun to plink with! I even went so far as to use 158 gr. swc lead bullets I cast. Accuracy was so-so with lead bullets okay with jacketed.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've fired many jacketed and cast bullets out of my 35 whelen. With 15 gr of unique or hodgdon universal clays, you'll get 1700 fps, and mild recoil with 180 gr bullets. I would not drive a pistol bullet much faster then that, or it will act like a varmint bullet. If you want a flat shooting 180 gr bullet, try the X bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<leadbottom>
posted
Sierra lists a prefered hunting load for its 180 grain fpj .357 pistol bullet in a 35 Remington cartridge to be shot out of a T/C Contenderat 2100 fps

<eldeguello>
posted
Why not ask Nosler what impact velocities their 180 .357" Part. will survive? I suspect you can use it at some rifle velocities, but maybe not in a .35 Whelen or .358 Norma!! Bet it'd work in a .35 Remington, though!!

------------------
Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some left over 32 acp gold dots from a project loaded them in my 308. With 15 grs of red dot for 2600fps. They well not go thru a 1/2 gal milk jug. into one hole at 5o yards. going to use them on p dogs for some short range blow ups.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote