New
Find
Notify
Tools

44-40
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am reloading for the 44-40, for a ruger vaqaro hadgun.

Can one approach the same loads as for a 44 mag.
The bullet dia. for a .44 mag is .429, while the 44-40 is .427, can one use .429 bullets in the 44-40?

Since I am only using these loads in a Ruger
how close to the 44 mag data can I be?

Posts: 44 | Location: boise, ID. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If you want a .44 Magnum, buy a .44 Magnum!

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
bluemule,
ricciardelli is right, the 44-40 brass is too thin & soft for high pressure loads. You should check your bore diameter by slugging, but .427-.428 should be the right dia. I used to shoot a lot of .44-40 from a Uberti Henry in the CAS game. Very accurate rig, but I could never get the Uberti SAA copy to shoot well.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Suggest you check your chamber size and barrel. I used to have a Vaquero .44-40, it was chambered for .427 projectiles and had a .44Mag barrel for .429 projectiles. Wouldn't shoot worth a hoot. Had it rechambered to .429 and started getting splits in the case necks. Priced custom dies and decided to sell the gun. My Uberti Cattleman .44-40's shoot just fine but I am constantly replacing springs, both have had to have firing pins replaced and one had to have the whole hammer replaced due to cracking where the firing pin locating pin gizmo thing is.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replying, ricciardelli, but
if I want a .44 mag I would have bought one, next time just answer question, keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself. I would like to thank evryone else for their answers.

Posts: 44 | Location: boise, ID. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Don't be so hard on ricciardelli, he's trying to summarize this answer:

The .44-40 is not a .44 Magnum; however, if ANY heavier loads are planned, first switch to Starline cases.

A comparison of the .44-40 and .44 Magnum data published in the old P.O. Ackley reloading books will show the difference between the two cartridges when loaded to the (unwise) max.

As to proper bullet diameter, slug the barrel and note the groove diameter; then, slug the leeds in the cylinder and note those diameters. For accuracy, the leeds need to be as large as the grooves or larger. If they are not, accuracy will suffer as the difference is worser between the two, because bullets sized undersize by too-small leeds tend to blow across the tops of the rifling and not engage them right.

As a practical matter, assuming the gun's measurements are favorable and Starline cases are used along with bullets which match the leeds (or .001" over), the Vaquero can be loaded to be quite close to the .44 Magnum by ordinary standards. However, this requires quite a bit of familiarization with the data in order to approach it sensibly.

Paladin

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can do it. I have a Remington m-14 1/2 pump action rifle in 44-40. It is strong and will work fine with very hot loads. Be carefull of the extremely hot loads from the old Lyman manuals. They are way too hot. Here is the problem. Suppose you get one of those hot loads in a gun that can't handle it. Things will come apart at the seams. Suppose someone got one your hot loads into a '73 or old Colt? ..and they get hurt. I know it seems far fetched but it could happen. I personally shot one of my "rifle" loads in a EMF revolver. Scared the daylights out of me. Cut my hand on the hammer. No serious damage luckily. It did get 1645 fps with a 200 grain bullet in a 5 1/2" barrel. Pretty hot load!! The paper target didn't know how fast the bullet hit it. I personally like moderate accurate loads. If I were hunting I would use a 41 or 44 mag. The 44-40 is just an interesting plaything, at least to me. 14 grains of 2400 with a 200 gr bullet is pleanty. 10 grains of Unique has enough zip too. But hey, suit yourself.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 03-29-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote