Find
Notify
Tools

Brass brush for stubborn copper?
 Login/Join

<Tunacan>
posted
Quick question-

I have a Steyr Prohunter that is a fabulous shooter. The barrel if wonderful and copper fouling is minimal except the last 2 inches.

The last 2 inches of the barrel has copper that wont come out.

Barnes CR-10 won't clean it out. I have been using a nylon brush. Will a brass brush clean the stubborb stuff better?

Will the brass brush harm the barrel. What do you recommend???

Thanks

<Martindog>
posted
Brash brush will not harm the barrel. Run a patch soaked with Barnes/Sweets over the area. Let it work for 10-15 minutes. Then run brush over the area, followed by dry patches. Repeat until clean.

Another alternative -- If you have some JB or IOSSO paste, that works well too. If you don't have any, borrow some from a friend and try that. Neither will harm your bore if used as directed.

Finally, if your rifle is grouping well, don't obsess about getting every last bit of copper out. Message boards are full of stories about perfectly clean barrels not shooting well and taking several rounds to come in.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you try the brush on a similar metal (like your trigger) to make sure it doesn't scratch. Over the years I have had a few cheap brushes that where to hard and scratched the barrel.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Drifty>
posted
For real stubborn fouling I take a copper pot scrubber and rip it apart and then wrap the fibers around my cleaning brush. It gets out the stuff that stays there after the regular cleaning.

------------------
Drifty

<Don G>
posted
I use a sequence of CR-10, Hoppe's #9, and RemClean. The RemClean is less abrasive than JB (I don't know Iosso), but it will scratch off the oxide layer in the fouling that is probably preventing the CR-10 from working.

I use a patch wrapped around a worn out brush. A nylon brush is perfect for that.

WalMart stocks RemClean!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a rough spot. As already stated, clean with solvents and brass jags ( + patches ;-)). Use Hoppe�s # 9 and leave it in bore 24 hrs. After several days the patches will come out clean. Stroke barrel several times with Rem Clean as advised. This will smooth the barrel.

Do enough shooting with proper cleaning and it will get smooth.

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
TUNACAN,
I've had great success with "SWEET'S 7.62". However I don't follow directions. In my .30-06 I use a .338 bore swab with Sweets on it and run the swab thru for a minute. Then I put more Sweet's on the swab and repeat. I immediately run five or six clean patches down the bore. Take great care to be sure ALL the sweet's is removed from the rifle. Then I run two patches with Breakfree CLP down the bore and make sure the chamber is fully wiped with the patches. I let the rifle lay on the bench while I clean the bolt face. Then I rune a patch thru the chamber and bore as well as the inside of the action. I then run a clean patch thru the chamber and bore ONE time, and I'm done.
I've been cleaning all my rifles this way for about three years now and have had no problems or loss of accuracy. I hope that this is of some help.

------------------
BigBob

<BigBob>
posted
TUNACAN,
I forgot one point. To insure the bore is clean, I'll bend the shaft of a Q-tip and put it into the bore at the muzzle so the cotton is about a quarter of an inch from the crown. I then will have the overhead light shine on the cotton and look at the bore with a magnifying glass. This will light up the bore and you will see details you've never seen before. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE Q-TIP.

------------------
BigBob

[This message has been edited by BigBob (edited 02-01-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I see no real harm in the brush treatment, however, you can get things cleaned up much faster by using J.B.'s or Flitz. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Michael Swickard>
posted
The best way to remove the copper near the muzzle is with JB Bore Shine. Take a patch and rub some jb on it. Place the patch on a jag then what you want to do is clean the barrel by short stroking. get the patch to where it is just coming out of the barrel and work the last 4 inch of the barrel.

After using JB, run a solvent patch, then brush the barrel with bronze brush saoked in you solvent. patch dry, then take a flash light and look into the muzzle. If you still have alot of buildup repeat.

Ciao

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
7.62 SWEET"S, STINK JUICE ALWAYS WORK!!

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<mike elmer>
posted
1. I use Hoppes#9 on a patch , then 1-2 dry patches.

I look to see if copper fowling is visable at the muzzle. If it is:

2. I use a patch of Sweets 7.62 and scrub the barrel with the wet patch, then 2 dry patches.

If copper is still visable:

3. I apply Iosso to a patch and scrub the barrel with it, then 2 dry patches.

I then use another patch of Sweets 7.62, and wipe dry with 2 dry patches. That almost always gets the copper out completely without using a brush.

4. I clean the bore cleaners out with a wet patch of Hoppes #9, and run 2 dry patches through.

5. I run a patch of Hoppes Oil through the barrel, then run 2 dry patches through and I am done.

It's sad; I would rather be shooting than cleaning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if this correct but it works.

1. Soak patch in sweets 7.62 and rub up and down bore until foamy.

2. Repeat step one.

3. Coat Bronze Brush in sweets 7.62 and pass through bore a few times, 10 shots=4 passess.

(If it is a stubborn barrell to clean like my cz .416 it might need to 10 passess for the first few times until barrell smoothes).

4. Run Fresh Sweets Patches up until they come out clean.

5. Soak Patch in Hoppes 9 and allow to soak inBore for 10 min to kill all the sweets.

6. Dry bore with clean patches

7. Run Patch soaked in Gun oil up boar.

If this is an incorrect approach please correct me and let me know where I am going wrong, I used to be a "Hoppes First Person".

I was also told that Bronze Brushes will not damage a bore. The copper on your projectiles is much harder and going much faster than your bronze bore brush will ever go!. Unless your the type who loads it in a case with your favourite propellant and shoots it out.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote