THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COL for 6.5x55 in a Lothar Walther Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hoping to shoot Project #2, the 6.5x55, this weekend, and putting together some loads.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a COL for the Sierra 140 gr. HPBT?

The barrel is a Lothar Walther, but don't expect anything--although it would be nice--that specific.

Thanks,

flaco

posted Hide Post
flaco, with out the gun in hand and checking to see where contact is made in your rifle, that question can only be answered using the reccommended specs from seirra.

"Ain't never hit one yet, I didn't burn powder at"

Posts: 12 | Location: Shreveport LA | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It depends on how your barrel was chambered. It could have been done with a short throat or the standard length. FOr the most part, most of my loads are seated to around 3.070 to 3.075", but again, that's in my rifles and may not help you at all. You'll have to determine the proper seating depth on that particular rifle yourself...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys-

Different manuals recommend different COLs.

Sierra doesn't list anything on their site, but Lapua has a downloadable handbook, and they recommend 3.110 for that round.

Actually, all Lothar Walther barrels come long chambered. To fit, the breech face is trimmed to match the receiver, as is the shoulder.

My thinking was that since they're never reamed--by a smith--there might be uniformity there. Within the .006s of correct headspace.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra Infinity Suite lists the COL for that bullet as 3.050.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote