New
Find
Notify
Tools

.264 Winchester Magnum Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m new to this cartridge, and about to reload for it for the first time. I find the data in some manuals and other sources to be either rather slow or severely overstated. Some sources show velocities that I can easily achieve with my 6.5X55 while others show speeds approaching 3600 fps, this data is for 140gr bullets.

I’m trying to find some data that will give me 3100 fps at the muzzle from a 24” barrel. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nice long throat slow powder and 2" of barrel. Wink

Seriously I think you will be hard pressed to get 3100 from a 24" barrel. Best bet is something like RL22 and slower. Some claim great results from retumbo. I have never tried it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m trying to find some data that will give me 3100 fps at the muzzle from a 24” barrel.

3100 f/s automatically limits one to using 129-140 grain bullets in the .264 Win mag. IMHO lighter bullets aren't serious big game bullets, and heavier bullets can't be driven fast enough for the desired trajectory.

With that in mind I'd find a Nosler or Barnes bullet in that weight range, some H4831 or IMR7828, spark it with Federal's 215 and go from there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Nosler and Hornady 139-140gr bullets.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, what kind of throat does your rifle have? The SAAMI standard chamber has ZERO leade (a strange design that Winchester first specified). If you have this standard chamber, then you are limited to very deep seating with most bullets. I'd advise to have a trusted gunsmith lengthen the leade to allow a bullet like the Nosler Partition 140 or the Accubond 130 to be seated near the base of the neck (provided you have enough magazine room).

VERY slow powders are required to get the .264 up to speed with 140 grain bullets. I use surplus WC 872, but a powder like AA 8700 or some of those designed for the .50 Cal Browning also work well. The 4831's, 7828, RL-22 are all somewhat too fast to allow you to reach 3100 fps in a normal length barrel at sustainable pressures.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t checked the throat as yet. It is a stainless steel Ruger Hawkeye or 77, whatever the correct terminology is for it, produced about two years ago. I’ll do some checking on the throat, but the gunsmith that I used to know to be of high integrity with good quality work has retired and I’ve yet to find anyone in the Seattle area that knows that being a gunsmith involves other than swapping parts on AR-15s.

Thanks for your advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten to 3100 fps with 140"s with IMR7828, H1000 and Reloader 25. I can get to 3050 with several other powders. This is all with a 24" barrel. I also get 3250 to 3300 fps with 125 gr. Partitions with H1000. 130's in the 3250+ range with wc872.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJWinWA:
but the gunsmith that I used to know to be of high integrity with good quality work has retired and I’ve yet to find anyone in the Seattle area that knows that being a gunsmith involves other than swapping parts on AR-15s.

Ain't it the truth! Unfortunately, the big box stores have pretty much put the small gun shops out of business. It was the shop sales that usually subsidized a gunsmith's business enough to allow him to do the relatively low-paying, time consuming gunsmithing. The economics of gunsmithing just don't work anymore. The guys who are still around who are equipped and know how to do quality work have to charge a lot, but still rarely can make a living from gunsmithing. They typically do it because the like it and have to have other sources of income to make a go of it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
3100 f/s automatically limits one to using 129-140 grain bullets in the .264 Win mag. IMHO lighter bullets aren't serious big game bullets, and heavier bullets can't be driven fast enough for the desired trajectory.

Just picked up a 264. I think I can prove you wrong with the 120 TTSX.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The SAAMI standard chamber has ZERO leade (a strange design that Winchester first specified). If you have this standard chamber, then you are limited to very deep seating with most bullets. I'd advise to have a trusted gunsmith lengthen the leade to allow a bullet like the Nosler Partition 140 or the Accubond 130 to be seated near the base of the neck (provided you have enough magazine room).

I think the zero leade was back when they ran a stepped-diameter bullet. I don't think that's the SAAMI spec chamber now.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used just 120 grn nosler solidbase bullets in my 264 for hunting. I did throat it out as it was very short and even hornady 129's had to be seated to the canalure. IMR 7828 and the 120 nosler has dumped a pile of deer, whitetail and mulie, antelope and caribou too. Never found that bullet wanting in the least at 3250 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm starting with RL-25, and see how close I get with it. I'll try IMR 7828 next.

Thanks.