Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
Anyone? Anyone?

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is one of those "it depends" answers......as long as there is enough clearance at the neck on loaded rounds to be safe and let the brass expand to release the bullet on firing the brass is OK......BUT....it is better to do a chamber cast to insure that your chamber is within specs and what exactly the neck diameter is in YOUR chamber....then you can select brass OR turn the necks to insure even walls and correct .003 clearance for normal loadings .....I found wall thickenss vary from .012 to .015 to be normal in my 223 brass.....My cartridge spec book shows the case outside diameter at the neck to be .253....with a 224 bullet that makes a wall apx. .014 as max.......BUT your chamber might be on the tight side or the upper end of SAAMI specs and I try to select brass with equal wall thickness within the under .014 thickness and avoid turning for a normal chamber......then you can experiment with neck tension and seating depth with the equal walled cases and some anneal to extend case life with good wall tension........cerrosafe and a chamber cast answer a lot of questions for long lasting cases and good loads....hth...good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That gives me an idea of what it should be.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote