Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Powder selection formula
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
The old Powell calculator comes to mind, and of course Quickload and Accuload can do it. For a free computerized version of the Powell calculator, see the author's page: http://www.stickledown.co.uk/

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a formula that can be used for powder selection for a given cartridge? It would seem to me that with the case volume, bullet weight, caliber, case design, and primer as know components, you should be able to figure out what powders, according to burning rate could be used in a specific cartridge.

If anyone knows of such a formula, please let me know.

Thanks,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dutch,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the program but the suggested powders that were given were faster powders than the powders that I have. I was hoping for the program to ask what powder I wanted to use and then give me a starting load.

I really appreciate the program, it will come in handy.

Thanks again, Dutch,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for suggested loads of a given powder for a given bullet then the proper reloading manual has that. If your looking among the powders listed in a manual for which one to start with then my rule of thumb is to pick the one that lists the best velocity at near case capacity.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote