Find
Notify
Tools

Core-Lokt Ultras?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
Are Remington's Core Lokt Ultra bullets available as separate components anywhere on the open market, yet?

R-WEST

[ 09-30-2003, 18:42: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know but when one has improved the Corelokt he has accomplished something and apparantly they have done just that...I can't wait to try them on game...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R-WEST:
Are Remington's Core Lokt Ultra bullets available as separate components anywhere on the open market, yet?...

Hey R-WEST, Well, kinda! Three of their old timers are available, but they are refered to as the PLHPs(Plated Hollow Points).

You can get them in 50gr and 55gr 0.224" as well as an 80gr 0.243".

Back in 2000, the NRA Convention was in Charlotte, NC. A buddy who posts here and I went to look the whole thing over. The Remington Corporate Office had recently moved to NC and all the "Green Wheels" were there, as well as Middle Management.

My buddy and I got two of the Managers cornered and worked them over with questions and requests.

We requested the Manager, Centerfire R&D consider a regular production S&S 358Win M7. The request was met with indifference. But, he smiled and said we had something to look forward to in the M7 which would be totally new. Obviously way to excited about "something new" being worked on to be concerned with the excellent 358Win. And in retrospect, apparently he was talking about the SAUMs.

The other guy we had cornered was the "Manager, Bullet Production". Asked him what he had coming up and got nothing positive. Good poker face.

We talked a bit more and I asked him if he had ever shot any of the PLHPs. He said he had and started squirming a bit. So, I asked, "How did yours shoot in comparison to the regular PSPs?" He brightened and said, "I always found the PLHPs to be VERY ACCURATE!"

So, I figured he had actually shot some. Then I asked, "By any chance does Speer make them since they are made just like the Speer Gold Dots?" He said, "No, we Plate them ourselves."

I asked, "How well did they perform on Game for you?" And his response was very similar to my experience with them on many critters. Generally speaking we both get a nice Exit Hole with serious damage inside.

He was feeling pretty good by then with lots of smiles and one of the Green Wheels joined us. So, after the "Good to see you again!" and a few tall tales, my next question was, "Since you all know the PLHPs are exceptionally accurate and you are aware of their outstanding on-game performance, why is it there aren't PLHPs in every caliber?!?!?!?"

Don't believe I've seen as "stunned" a set of expressions since some of George Foreman's ring victims when George was The Champ. You could tell the Green Wheel wanted to spill-the-beans about something and he finally said, "That is something we do need to look into." The Manager, Bullet Production made a note and stuck it in his pocket. After the Green Wheel left, the Bullet Manager got a BIG smile and said, "Keep your eyes open, we may have a nice surprise for you before too long, just like the Centerfire guys."

Now, don't by ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION get the idea that I'm taking credit for the Core-Lokt Ultras. It does seem someone at Big Green had already come to the same conclusion before I asked about them back in 2000. Then it was just a matter of getting the Process Finalized.

Now, if the additional calibers only shoot as accurate as the good old Rem PLHPs and perform On-Game as well, they will really be some excellent bullets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I haven't seen any listed by Midway, Graf's, Midsouth, etc., yet. Rem. may not intend to sell 'em as components. I am still looking for some Nosler .375" Accubonds, too! If I don't get some in the next three or four days, they won't get tested this year!! I'm afraid I'll just have to use X's!! [Big Grin]