Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 S&W Cast Load Data Hodgdon HS-6
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there, I have been looking for load data for a .40, but all I can find for Hodgdon HS-6 is for jacketed bullets. The bullet weight is 165 grains. Why Im confused is because I had been shooting 185 grain rounds, at 5.9 grains, and I can't figure why I should increase the powder charge on a lighter weight bullet. Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stainless1911:
Hi there, I have been looking for load data for a .40, but all I can find for Hodgdon HS-6 is for jacketed bullets. The bullet weight is 165 grains. Why Im confused is because I had been shooting 185 grain rounds, at 5.9 grains, and I can't figure why I should increase the powder charge on a lighter weight bullet. Thanks in advance.

It's not that you have to it's that you can. If you can't find data for a lead bullet in your desired weight, you can use jacketed data less 5-6%. With the same OAL, they yield about the same vel & pressures.
Lyman #49 is a great data source if you shoot a lot of lead bullets. They show 7.0-8.4gr of HS6 under a 175grLTC or LRNFP @ 1.125"OAL.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote