New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New to Reloading, Many questions:
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think the best case trimmer is a Lee case trimmer used in a drill press. Use leather padded pliers to hold the case. This is low cost, accurate, fast and can be used to reduce the lenght of resized cases, such as 30/06 cases reresized to 7.65mm Mauser. A low cost drill press is also handy to have to use as a "drill press". Lots better than spending as much or more for a "single use" case trimmer.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add one thing to your shopping list - a bullet puller. Either the Kinetic kind or the collet kind, you will eventually need to pull some loads, and probably sooner than later.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. You are right, reading is important, but hands on practice can't be beat.

I loaded throughout my boys growing up and had no fires (other than the kitchen type when teaching them to cook!) or explosions, and they weren't even that curious once they knew what I was doing. Do some reloading where they can see it, when they ask questions stop and answer them. You aren't reloading at this point, you are teaching. They will typically loose interest after a while and you can go back to loading. If you have one who maintains interest thank God!, you now have a shooting partner for life! You just have to nurture the interest.

I would advise that you reload at home (wife permitting) and where the children can see, ask questions, and get their curousity satisfied. Once satisfied you won't have problems with them unless they are the type that want to show their friends everything. Then you or your wife has to be there when the friends are.

Of course, I also had mine shooting almost as soon as they could safely handle the Roger Single Six!

I firmly believe in satisfying their hunger to learn. Why was it that the muzzle loader over the fireplace or beside the door wasn't a problem on the frontier? Because it was a chore, not a priviledge! Teach your kids to shoot and to clean the firearms and it isn't nearly as attractive the next time.

Posts: 37 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Hi
Dittos on what�s been said..
Gotta put in another word for the Lee trimmer. It is so simple and works so well. However there is only one length and that's the one you get when you're done. But 99% of the time that is just fine.
I also use a Lyman once in a while.
Have never used a Wilson but I hear they are very good.

Handloading, like anything else in life, is just a matter of putting in time and gaining experience. Keep asking questions.. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask..
Cya next time..

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote