THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.358 Winchester (powder for game and plinking)
 Login/Join

posted
Hello shooters! I've got a BLR .358 and I want to develop a couple loads without buying "too" many different powders or trial and error.

I've got the bullets and the brass, just no powder yet.

Load #1
I want to shoot the 200 gr Hornady SP's at around 2500 fps for our WI whitetails.

Load #2
I have three boxes of .357 jacket handgun bullets laying around the shop. 140 gr Speer HP, 158 gr Hornady HP. and some 180 gr Hornady silhouette bullets. This "plinking" load doesn't have to be super slow fps. Just want some cheaper practice loads and maybe shoot a pest or two with them.

Please fire some powder suggestions at me for both loads! I need some experienced .358 Win shooters to chime in. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lonerider - I checked my reloading notes on a Savage 99-358 I once had (never should have sold it). IMR3031 worked very well with 200gr. bullets and IMR4064 was my favorite with 250gr. loads. I believe the newer 225gr. bullets of today would be an idea match for the .358, since my Savage would not print either the 200 and 250gr. loads within 6" of each other (big velocity and weight difference). mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded the 200 gr bullets in the .358 with 46 grs of IMR 3031. That chrono's 2460 out of a 22" tube. A BLR might take a little more. In any case always work up.

For the 180 gr bullet I used IMR's 4198. Almost 2700 fps can be reached with 42.5 grs. Again work up. Today I am loading RL 10 in the 358 with excellent results. It burns about like 3031 but you can get more in the case. In this particular instance it's just right for both bullets.

I am loading 48.5 grs of RL 10 with the 180 Speer and it makes 2775 fps! I have not used reduced loads in the .358.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Load #1: 200 grain .358 Hornady SP Interlock--2507 fps w/ 51.0 grains Varget in my BLR .358 Win. I need a shoe horn to get more in the case and make OAL, although Lyman and Steve go up to 54 gr with a 200 gr bullet. Work up to it of course. I'm happy with the velocity, accuracy, and case fill at 51 gr.

Data looks good for AA2520--I've got some loaded but haven't got out to shoot them yet--another powder to consider.

H4895 also worked well for me but was slower--consider the Hodgdon Youth Load formulas maybe for your plinker loads.

HS

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Please keep em coming.

Steve, wow, what a resource you've put together! I have one question about your data. I see you have WLR primers listed for every load. I know some of that data comes from books that use CCI primers. Is it OK to use the WLR primers in the place of the CCI primers? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had success with Varget, IMR4895, WW748, BLC-2 and H335, the latter being my powder of choice for the .358 Win. The difference in performance between them all is statistically insignificant in my opinion except that Varget lagged slightly in regards to velocity. I have not loaded 200 grain bullets, 225 being the lightest I've tried. 2450 fps with them in a Ruger 77, 22" barrel. 2380 fps with 250 grain bullets using H335.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I pcked up some IMR3031 to try with the 200 gr Hornady SP's, and a pound of RE7 for the plinking loads.

I probably get the deer load worked up first, then I'll get some of those handgun bullets loaded for just shootin'.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve, wow, what a resource you've put together! I have one question about your data. I see you have WLR primers listed for every load. I know some of that data comes from books that use CCI primers. Is it OK to use the WLR primers in the place of the CCI primers? Thanks.

You can use any large rifle primer you like, as long as you start your work-up using that primer. You cannot just take a max or near-max load and substitute the primer (or any other component) without backing-off and working-up again.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
quote:

You can use any large rifle primer you like, as long as you start your work-up using that primer. You cannot just take a max or near-max load and substitute the primer (or any other component) without backing-off and working-up again.

I know that, Steve. I'm just curious why you went with all WLR primers in your data. Some of those loads were developed with CCI primers, and the ball powders called for a magnum primer. I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, just curious. I've loaded rifle shells on and off for a a few years, but I know you've surely forgottten more about reloading than I've ever learned.

Was it a matter of keeping it simple when you undertook the huge project of organizing all that data, or are you a fan of the WLR primers for the .358 Win?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have had my best results in a BLR .358 Win. with WW 748 powder-over 2400 FPS with a 250-grain Speer spitzer and 1" MOA from that light 20" barrel....... A Ken Waters load, BTW, REDUCED from Ken's load by 3 grains!

I have shot wt deer with the 200 gr. Hornady spitzer, and found that it makes a big hole all the way through, but may be more suited to elk and bear hunting. A pretty tough bullet! It didn't seem to even slow down going through deer.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, guys. I'm working up that deer load tonight. I'll probably start at about 42 gr of 3031 and work up in 1/2 grain increments. I'll go with the WLR primers.

It will be intersting to get going next on those jacketed 158 gr .357 bullets and see what I can come up with. Should be a fun short range verminizer!!