Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Expectations for factory rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
If I can get a factory trigger and hunting scoped rifle to 1MOA, I'm satisfied. Very few of my factory guns get below .75 MOA. Usually it takes light triggers, custom bedding, 10X or higher scopes, etc. to get them down to better than .5" for me.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.5" isn't terrible for the 7 and the 77. More experimenting on the 77 will get you in the 1" range. My 30-06 in the 77 is pretty much a 1-1.5" gun. Don't have anything on the 7. I have a 6MM VLS. Just got back from shooting it. 39 gr of H4895 behind a 75 gr Sierra HP is my best load so far. One group at .45, others in the .6's. The rifle seems pretty picky as there were no other standouts out of about 7 different loads. Rifle is bone stock with Leupold vari x2 3x9. Keep on working with the VLS you'll get what you want out of it.

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that factory rifles that will shoot 1/2" or better, even with tuned handloads, are few and far between. Other accurizing (trigger, bedding, etc.) tricks may or may not improve your groups. I'd be real happy with 3/4" groups from any one of those rifles.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you! Anything less than an inch is very good with sporters and .75 or better w/heavy barreled ones. I remember 30yrs, or so, the very first time I shot Fed premiums out of my 700 Varmint. I wanted to cry. They matched my bestloads! capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like my factory rifles to do better then 1.5 inch. But most of them are 1.5 inch rifles with out any work. you can some times improve on that with a good bedding job and trigger work.

I would think that if you are getting .75 once in a while bedding, a good trigger and a good scope you should bring it down to there most of the time.

2 bullet types and powder doesn't cut it I have 5 or 6 differant powders on hand and all kinds of bullets. If you really want to check the rifles out buy some serria match kings for the cailber you are shooting. That will give you the most accurate bullet. Then you can go from there With cases powder ect. If your rifle shoots well with MK's them there is hope to find another bullet that it well do well with. If it doesn't shot well with MK's then you need to start working on the other stuff..

.5 rifles were what dreams where made for 25 years ago Now I have several that well do that if I am on. But I also have a lot of run of the mill hunting rifles that do 1.5 or so on a good day they all kill big game with out a trouble. But when you get a few that shoot like a house on fire you start to think they all should do that. I guess if I rebarreled for hundreds of dollars spent hrs on stock work ect I could get them to shoot .5s but they work find for what I want them to do. So I spend my extra money on other stuff.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I have started handloading for three rifles: Remington Model 7 in 300 SAUM, Remington Model 700 VLS in 243 win, and Ruger Model 77 in 7mm Rem Mag. I have to the best of my ability loaded consistent ammo. I am not beating the accuracy of factory ammo after trying at least two powders and bullet combos in each gun. I'm getting "good accuracy"...I can get 1-1 1/2" groups consistently at 100 yards with the occasional .75. My goal when I started this was a rifle that consistently shoots .5" 100 yard groups. Am I expecting too much from factory rifles?

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. Before ever firing the rifle I had a gunsmith glassbed the action, float the barrel and lighten that gawd-awful 8lb. trigger pull. At the range I immediately started grouping .6" to .8". With a fair amount of load development I'm down to about .4". I suspect the best this rifle will do is probably .3", with my better loads. We have to be realistic here. This is a heavy rifle with a 26" varmint barrel so it'll do better than most, but it's not a benchrest gun. Incidently this is my last U.S. made rifle. The VLS is not an inexpensive firearm. To have to shell out an extra $200. for bedding, floating and trigger adjustment is ridiculous. That's best done at the factory when the gun is manufactured. I'll try going with Sako, Tikka and CZ for awhile. At least their rifles are made by machinists, and metalurgists, not lawyers. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote