New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser cast bullet info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some Laser Cast bullets for target shooting but I can't find any info for loading them. I'm loading .357 mag and .44 mag. The bullets are .38 caliber 158 grain SWC and .44 caliber 240 grain SWC. I'm using Alliant's Unique powder for both loads. The closest I could find for the .44 was info for Speer 240 grain lead SWC which called for 6.5 grains of Unique. I loaded up six rounds and they seemed to perform well but it still seemed like a rather light load. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specs for both sizes of these bullets using Unique powder.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
rowdyredneck: Try http://www.alliantpowder.com
They have the data and the Lyman manuals cover cast lead loads as well. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Alliant site but they don't list any data for a .44 240 grain SWC. They do show a .38 158 grain SWC with a starting load of 4.3. I have the Lyman and Speer manuals and the closest I was able to find was the data for a Speer 240 grain SWC with a suggested starting load of 6.5 grains of Unique. But I'm not sure how close the Speer bullet is to the Laser Cast in hardness and ballistics. The loads I tested definately had more recoil than a .44 special, but the powder load still seems a little light to me. I can't seem to find any specs for Laser Cast bullets and I don't really want to buy their manual to load two boxes of bullets.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Why not call the customer support 800 number laser cast offers on their web site and see what they recommend?

http://www.laser-cast.com/ContactUs.html

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I was thinking the same thing Smiler I'll give them a try tomorrow. But if anyone else has info on these I would appreciate it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not having exact information sounds to me like an engraved invitation for developing a load. Once you've done it, you'll have it for all time and be able to post it under "Your Favorite Loads-- Share Them With Us" for the rest of us.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still fairly new to reloading so I don't feel comfortable enough to experiment just yet, but if it comes to that I'll share the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rowdy, welcome aboard, and to the absolutely fascinating world of "rolling your own".
I would recommend you find a load out of one of the reloading manuals that you have, listing loads for a 240-250-grain bullet in the .44, and for a 158-grain SWC in the .38, and try them. You won't have any problems, I promise.

Cast bullet alloys don't vary enough to give much variation in bearing surface between the different bullet profiles, and that is what is going to build pressure. And lead alloys are somewhat "slicker" going down a barrel, so they build less pressure than jacketed.

In closing, I would tell you that it is REALLY hard to blow up a firearm, if you have your head in a loading manual. Just take your time, read a lot, and listen to these guys. They won't steer you wrong...

Regards,
Scot

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I most often load to halfway between the extremes and go with that. When I can't find exact values for a specific bullet, I use the closest available and load a little light. For instance, I use 8.3 grains of Accurate Number 5 using the 225gr LaserCast TC in my .45ACP, and the 158gr LaserCast TC in my .357Mag. This saves me from having to readjust my powder measure for the different calibers. I've seen no ill effects using this powder charge.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any specific info on those exact bullets, but I did look up some data that may interest you.

.44 Magnum
Lyman #429421. (SWC @245 grs.)
Mine come out about 248 when cast of WW + 2% Tin
CCI 300 primers (Large Pistol Standard)
Sized to .430
1.710" OAL

Suggested starting load of Unique is 9.8 grs
Velocity = 912
Pressure (C.U.P.) = 20,800

Max. Load is 13.0 grs
Velocity = 1147
Pressure (C.U.P.) = 36,800

.357 Magnum
Lyman has no data for this weight using Unique but RCBS does so here it is.

RCBS 38-158-SWC
Sized .358
CCI 500 primers (Small Pistol Standard)

Suggested starting load of Unique is 6.5 grs
Velocity = 1010

Max Load is 7.0 grs
Velocity = 1089
No pressure figures for either. Interesting that they only list a half grain range in powder. bewildered

I hope this helps you a little.

Matt
NRA Life Member
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

Posts: 47 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an exact copy of the Keith type bullet, it is a good bullet none the less. I order them in .358" and have shot them by the 1,000s with good results. Also, I keep old denim rags to scrub lube from the bullet's base before loading thus keeping excessive smoke to a minimum.

I don't remember the exact charges, but I have had good results in my 6" 357 with 3N-37 and AA's #2 & #5. Velocity was chronographed at 1150FPS. At one time I shot over 1500 rounds without having to clean the gun, but did so anyway out of guilt!

I like their 300 flat nose in .45 calibre too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Laser Cast today and found they were very friendly and helpful. I talked to a very nice woman who said their load tech was gone for the day but she could copy the load information for the bullets I was working with and either fax it or mail it to me free of charge. So I'm expecting the specs in the mail in the next few days. I'll try to post the formulas if I get a chance.
I really like the price of these bullets and they look like good quality. $28 for a box of 500 .44 SWC and about $21 for a box of 500 .38 SWC...at those prices I can shoot all day.

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard,

Where do you order from? How hard are these bullets.

Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
The Alliant data shows the 240 gr. as L (GC) which is a SWC with a gas check attached. Now you can compare it to what Laser Cast sends you. The Brinnell hardness of Oregon Trail/Laser Cast bullets is supposed to be 26 and that is extremely hard. Most companies that define their alloy as hardcast are usually around 18-19 Brinnell by comparison. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live within 30 miles of a Cabela's retail store, so I buy all of my supplies there without ordering anything. I bought these bullets and all of my reloading supplies there. No hazardous shipping fees or extra freight for heavy items, ect. so it works well.
Out of curiousity how hard are copper jacketed bullets compared to the Laser Cast? I would assume copper is harder, I just don't want to burn out my barrel because I plan on shooting alot of these.

posted Hide Post
I've used Laser Cast 158gr SWC's in a few .357 loads. I don't know the exact hardness other than than they are harder than any other cast bullet I've used.

With this bullet in .357 cases:

6.0gr of Unique runs 1050fps from my 6" S&W 686
A good midrange load that is very accurate from this gun.

12.5gr of AA#9 runs 1320fps from the 686, 1200 from my 4" Dan Wesson, 1100 when the Dan Wesson wears its 2 1/2" barrel. This load was worked up carefully and is at or near max, so approach with caution.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Laser-Cast says they are hard enough that they won't slobber all over your bore. Works for me...