New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Bullets in 300 Weatherby Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure Winchester offers it any longer, but acquired a black / grey laminated stock for about $200.00. I acquired this gun in 2001 and the stock a few years later. Had the action glassed in and have never looked back.
Sort of heavy but that helps with long shots.
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Did some shooting with my 300 ultra this weekend across my chrono. Some test loads all using RL 25.

My rifle is a stainless Model 70. It shoots all the loads under an inch. Rifle likes RL 25!
All data was at about 70F.

168 TTSX @ 3465 FPS
180 NP @ 3385 FPS
180 Accubond @ 3360 FPS
200 NP @ 3212 FPS.
Have had some issue finding some 200 accbonds and was told they shipped but did not arrive to load prior to my testing.
Was surprised at the accuracy of the NP's.
Taking this rifle on a Alberta whitetail hunt this Fall.
A little concerned about the 180 Accubonds @ 3360 FPS. Has been my long range Texas whitetail load.
It does make a mess of everything you shoot with it. The Deer up north are a little larger than our Texas variety.

EZ

Interesting. Those loads are sizzling. In my experience any of those will flatten a whitetail. Even the biggest white tails.

Thanks for the data too.

I haven't been loading shooting mine yet. First there is rain.

And then there is the part where I want to get my 300 Weatherby Model 70 restocked from its original stock to maybe a McMilan (maybe the Supergrade?) or even a Echols Legend.

But I prefer the stocks with a smaller grip and wrist and the stocks seem to still be on long lead times. To have Hill Country Rifle do the work would likely be 8-9 months. So I haven't got primed to go test bullets.

If any one wants to add in on the stock(s) please do.

Thanks.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you EZ.

Does that Model 70 grey laminated stock have a palm swell in the grip area?

I am looking at a picture of one, but I can't tell. I want a trimmer wrist/grip area for this stock.

The factory stock on the Classic Stainless is ok and it is trim. There was another thread not long back about how well they shoot.

I am at least thinking about having mine bedded and installing a cross bolt(s) and painted. Of course to do all that I could just buy a better stock like a Mcmillan, but I am guessing and doing that sight unseen. And waiting all year to see how it turns out.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes bullet work exceptional well on Buffalo and large animals,not as well on smaller game IMO, at least the ones Ive used..

I still like the 200 gr Nosler Partition and the Woodleigh best of all in any big 300. Most of todays super bullets work fine. IN a monolithic I like the GS Customs bullets. I have had great luck and done extensive testing of the 180 gr. Rem Corelokt RN bullets, They have worked well in all 30 calibers at 1000 to 3200 FPS with perfect expansion, but being round nose they may not shoot as flat..That and NOsler partitions is about all I use in my 30-06 and 308. Todays bullets all seem excellent and do about the same thing.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote