Find
Notify
Tools

pulling bullets..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
gentlemen -

in the past few years, i've developed a little cache of rounds, 223/204/22-250, that for whatever reason, need the bullets pulled. mostly they are extra rounds of a load that was deemed not particularly accurate enough, and just not shot.

well, i finally got around to buying an rcbs collet style bullet puller. works great. just wondering - do i have to re-size the necks of the brass that had the bullets pulled, before reloading again? or will there be enough neck tension to simply re-seat another bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There might be enough neck tension, but why risk it (it will depend on how hard/soft the neck is on the indivual cases).
Remove the decapping pin from your die, and place a 7/8 washer under the locking nut. This will resize most of the neck, while leaving the primer in place. As your not going to be touching the body of the case, no lube will be required.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Resize the necks.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to resize the necks or you will be very dissappointed in the results.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF it was me, I'd FL size them all.

How many bullets did you ruin with that puller??
How many loads in all did/do you have to pull?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
collet puller - wow thats really modern - old timers just used to grab them in their teeth bull

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
RESIZE

geogold

You only ruin bullets that have been crimped, non crimped come right out no marks.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that I am in the small minority, but I would try them just as they are. The springback of the neck brass should provide adequate tension. Try loading a couple. I'll bet you can't shove the bullets deeper by grasping the case and pushing the bullet tip against your bench. If that is true, you'll have plenty of (consistent) neck tension.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote