Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing Sizing Die
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
I have a sizing die that is rough and marks up the brass the entire length. No deep scratches, but the brass has the appearance of being brushed. Is it advisable to attempt polishing the die with something similar to Flits? What are the best methods or should I just accept as is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What brand of die. If it's an RCBS, my money says they'll give you a new one, no matter how it got like that. If it's some other brand, I'd inquire. If it's a Lee I'd try some Flitz. Lee doesn't jump to replace things like RCBS does, but they've been known to do it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had to polish all of the recent Redding dies as they are rough inside. Get a wooden dowel smaller than the die. Since I don't know what cartridge your die is for a 3/8" dowel would be ok for a 30-06.

Saw it off to about 6" and put it in your 3/8 drill and hold a piece of sandpaper over the end and make a taper to it. Then saw a slot in the end with a hacksaw. Now put a piece of 400 emery paper in the slot and you know what to do now.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
This die is a custom die made by a small shop for a small .204 caliber cartridge. I polished the die with Flitz and can see considerable improvement. The brass is pretty soft and contributes to the haze look when sized. Thanks for the advice.

I've never had a problem with Redding, excellent finish on the few dies I have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Change lubricants. An extreme pressure grease with moly will trump Imperial Sizing Wax seven days a week.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote