Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Data for .375 Weatherby
 Login/Join

<Hunting Max>
posted
Hello at all,
I am new here and I�m wondering if you couldn�t help me with my question.
I have a rifle in .375 Weatherby caliber, build on a CZ550 Magnum with my gunsmith here in Munich. The rifle is fine, but I have only a few reloading datas for that caliber, actually only the ones, which are printed in the book "Any Shot You Want" by the A-Square company. It would be great, if I could get more datas for that caliber. Any useful data or recommendation about bullets for African Big Game (Not Dangerous) Hunting (solids and spitzer) is appreciated.

Merry X-Mas!

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look in PO Ackley handbook for shooters. Volume 1,page 486. Start min some of the loads in this book are hotter than heck.
I load for a 375 JRS and the only real difference is a slightly rounded shoulder. It is an awesome round.

Happy hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also data in the Barnes #3 manual and Wolfe publishings "wildcat" book (as a 375 Ackley imroved). As the previous poster stated, start low with Ackley data. Some of my AI rifles will take his loads, most won't. My own 375 Wby will take all the data on the 375 in the wildcat book, but I can't get too close to Ackley's data. Just a rifle thing, I guess. Good luck, Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BARNES # 2 RELOADING MANUAL has three pages on .375 Weatherby, from 210g--300g bullets.

Have fun!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
@all,

thanks for the references. I will try to get this books by amazon. Does anybody know, whether the Ackley-books are still published or not? If you have a better source in the web for all the mentioned books than amazon, please give me a hint.

------------------
Max

<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Gonzolas:

I load for a 375 JRS and ...
It is an awesome round.

Hi Gonzales,
thanks for the reply. So you think, my choice was not the worst? Sometimes I am doubtful about it, becouse I think the .416Rigby would be a better coice. But ammo and cases are so much expensive on it and my plans are, to rechamber another rifle of the same type in .458 Winchester to .450 Ackley. Then I should be able to hunt everything on that planet. Is that right ?
------------------
Max

[This message has been edited by Hunting Max (edited 12-26-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey there, I have shot a lot of animals with my 375 JRS (elk & Moose) not any dangerous stuff penetration and the wound channel is unreal. I use a 300 gr nosler partition with 90 gr of reloader 19. It has a fairly flat trajectory comparable to .3006 with 180 gr bullets. My brother did the .450 ackley and that is absolutely outrageous it will definitely stop anything. He once shot a moose with it and I was with him to help. It looked like someone had picked up the moose and threw it. I found the bullet in a tree behind where the moose was and it had also penetrated about 9 inches of a spruce tree. When I got the bullet out of the tree it was literally the size of a golf ball.

Happy Hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loading data for .375 WBY from PO Ackley.

235gr bullet 82 - 86gr 4064
270gr bullet 80 - 81gr 4064
300gr bullet 78 - 80gr 4064
" " 72 - 88gr 4350
Hope this helps. I did find that since this publihing that there are better choices of powder available reloader 15 and 19 which woked better for me.

Happy Hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the sources for these types of books are Brownells, Midway, Wolfe Publishing, Safari press.

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Hi there,
again, many thanks. I will try to get the mentioned books. If it is not for the .375 Weatherby data, I think they are interesting books for the evening and a glass of Scotch ;-)

Are ther any recommendations about bullets ? I�m thinking about the 300grs Swift A-Frame, or the 300grs Barnes "X" and the 300grs Barnes Solid. Ha s anybody experiences with softs and solids from Woodleigh and Hornady, because the shape of, for example the Woodleigh soft and solid is the same ?

------------------
Max

[This message has been edited by Hunting Max (edited 12-26-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I mistaken or is it not a .378 Weatherby? I know this is approaching anal, that's what I get for being a perfectionist musician/band director and jazz freak, as well as guns.
willie

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Willie,

Weatherby's original .375 caliber cartridge was indeed named the 375 WBY. The 378 WBY came out later, and was the 460 WBY case necked down to 375 caliber, if I recall correctly. The 375 Wby is an "improved" 375 H&H with the radiused WBY shoulder.

The 375 WBY was discontinued a number of years ago, but has recently returned to the WBY lineup.

Edited to add: You can safely fire 375H&H cartridges in 375WBY chambered firearms, and when I was "shopping" for a 375, I strongly considered the WBY, but ended up with a "pair of black dress shoes" (H&H)....

Regards, Bill

[ 10-30-2002, 23:52: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,

I recently acquired a custom M700 Rem. in 375 Weatherby and have been very please with it.87gr. of IMR 4350 gives me 2680 fps with the 300gr. Swift out of a 22" barrel. It will run about 2750 fps but accuracy falls off after the 87gr. load. Factory loads with 300gr. Nosler partition run a full 2775fps also with good accuracy.

The A-Square data and the Barnes data are the only current loading info. that I can find.

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have Hodgdon Powder Co. data for the .375 Weatherby using bullets from 210 to 300 grains. Email me your address offline and I will mail you a copy.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote