New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How important are primers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It is prudent to back off then work back up when going to a mag primer, but I have to admit that I have not seen a signinficant increase in pressure signs or velocity when making the change.

Accuracy is a different story. I don't know what they do to match primers, but I have found them to shoot much more accurately in all of my loads (hunting and match loads).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, the biggest difference in "magnum" primers and "standard" primers is the price.

Some brand's "standard" primers may be "hotter" than other brand's "magnum" primers.

In cases the size you are loading and with the powders you would use in those calibers, there would be no advantage in a "hotter" primer, whether it is labeled "standard" or "magnum".

The largest case volume that I have loaded for is a .338 on an 8mm Remington Magnum case. The slowest powder that I use regularly is WC 872 (slower than H870) in a .264 Winchester and a 7mm STW. None of these combinations require "magnum" primers for uniform and reliable ignition. Since I do have some "magnum" primers in stock, I tend to use them on the "big boys", but neither chronograph nor target results show a measurable difference.

In theory, if you switched from the mildest primer (likely a CCI 200) to the hottest (likely a Federal 215) in a small case like a .22-250 loaded with a near-maximum load, then you might see pressures rise enough to be undesireable, though not likely dangerous.

Another generality, though certainly not a universal truth, is that milder primers tend to provide better accuracy. That is one reason that benchresters sometimes use brass made with small-size primer pockets for calibers that normally use a large primer.

If you're looking to demonstrate differences in accuracy due to primers alone, considering the number of brands and the number of different primers offered within brands, you'd shoot out your barrel before you had enough data to draw any reliable conclusion.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
My primer selection process consists of a very in-depth analysis that's based on color: I like silver ones. That means CCI or Federal, with a leaning toward the Federal 210.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scientific process I use to decide which ones to use consists of which I can buy for less than $20/1000. Its the science of $$.
Otherwise I haven't ever had any one show me convincing proof there were good ones opposed to bad ones. Although when I use CCI BR-4 they seem to burn very clean and leave little if any pocket residue.....

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't found that, generally speaking, they make a lot of difference. But sometimes they do. In his reloading pages, Steve Ricciardelli, for one, tells about a 25-06 that he couldn't get to shoot well until he switched primers, and then it became very accurate.

Go to this URL:

http://www.stevespages.com/table1.html

And then go to the 25-06 story #1 for his account.

My own shooting tests suggest that, unless you really need the magnum primer to ignite a large amount of powder (I use them in my .300 Weatherby, for example, but NOT in my .375 H&H), non-magnum ones often tend to give better accuracy.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote "was wondering if I should incorporate experimenting with different brands of primers when searching for the load that likes my rifle the best?"

Only you can answer that question. Enroute to your personal answer, you need to ask a couple of other questions: 1.) How accurate does your best load shoot now? 2.) Is that accurate enough for the uses to which you put your rifle?

If you decide you need more accuracy, and want to know if changing primers will increase your accuracy, the answer is "Maybe".

In 1968, when I lived in Edmonton, I used to shoot at the Sherwood Park Range (which then was little more than a bare field hacked out of a bluff of small trees with a berm at one end). One day there I ran onto a newly immigrated Yank who was having the Devil's own time trying to get good groups from his new .340 Weatherby rifle.

Even in those days I had owned a chronograph for more than 10 years, so I fired it up and chrono'd half-a-dozen rounds of his then-current handload. The chrono showed slightly over 200 fps extreme spread, from slowest to fastest of those 6 rounds.

I took him back to my home in the Garneau District, and we trekked down into the basement to work up something which might shoot better. What we loaded was exactly the same load he had been using at the range, except instead of CCI Magnum primers, we used RWS primers. Then, back to the range, where we did some more chronographing. Extreme spread was just under 35 fps with the RWS primers and groups were just under an inch...markedly better than before.

So, that makes it sound like primers can really have an efect, eh? The answer is still "Maybe".

With my own .30-BR and .30-PPC benchrest guns, I use any one of 3 different primers, depending on which is the handiest at the moment. They are the F-205-M, WSR, and Remington 7-1/2-BR. I MAY occasionaly get a flyer from the 7-1/2-BRs that I don't get from the other two, but not often enough to be convinced of it. Otherwise, all 3 are completely interchangeable with the same powder and bullets, for the same accuracy.

So, if you do need more accuracy, all I can say is "give diffferent primers a try." Maybe the difference will be significant. Then again, maybe it won't be.

Best wishes,

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The process that I use is quite simple. My short action cartridges, .243, .260... use Fed 210s, the 06 based cartridges use Win. WLR's and the ones that hold over 70grs of powder get Fed.215's. Also any cartridge that uses ball powder gets a 215.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
In all loads I develop the last thing I do is switch to every primer I have to see what effect, if any, they have on group size.

I always start off with Federal 210M's in all but ball powders where I use 215M's. In 75% or so of primer switches there is no change in accuracy and very little in velocity. In about 10% of cases the accuracy deteriorates. In the remainder, accuracy noticeably improves, mostly at random as between makes of primers, but usually Winchester primers are the usual ones to noticeably improve. In most instances the standard 210M's give better velocity than magnum primers. At one point or another, other primers have been preferred, including Remington 9�M's and CCI250's. Not much luck with the standard ones in those manufacturers.

About all you can do is switch them and find out if there is any difference. It could be an exercise in futility, and then again you might end up with that group with all in one hole!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
without primers gun dont go bang.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Here is a study which shows some of the same things I spoke of earlier about pressure, and the effects different primers can have on it. It's not the same one I spoke of earlier but......

Primers

Gents,
I've recently switched to the Fed 210M primers, and while I don't have the pressure equipment, certainly the Chrony gives me more consistent velocities with the Match primers in my 444Marlin, and 38-55. I bought a brick, lol.
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My own shooting tests suggest that, unless you really need the magnum primer to ignite a large amount of powder (I use them in my .300 Weatherby, for example, but NOT in my .375 H&H), non-magnum ones often tend to give better accuracy.

I suppose your right, but I've tended to think one may
need a mag primer more for the slow powders and ball
powders, because of the deterent coating, whereas I thought
once a large amount of medium powder started to burn it
would propagate its self so to speak??
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep three different primers on hand at all times. Fed 210M, CCI BR-2, and WLR. After I have developed a load and it is shooting as good as it can with the primer I developed the load with. I try the other 2 primers to see if it helps any. Sometimes it does and some times it don't. I have reloaded for 30+ years and I have learned which which primers have worked best with which powders. I have always had the best luck with the Fed. 210M with the VithaVouri powders, CCI BR-2 primers have always given the best results with H4350 EXT in my 260 and 308. With IMR 4064 in my 308 there just isn't any difference between the the two behind 155 Palma MatchKing. The WLR is the only non match grade primer that I use. I have had pretty good luck with it and RL-15 in a 308. In my 233 I have nothing better than the Rem. 7 1/2 BR primer regardless of the powder I used. So yes I do think primers make a difference.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I suppose your right, but I've tended to think one may need a mag primer more for the slow powders and ball

powders, because of the deterent coating, whereas I thought

once a large amount of medium powder started to burn it

would propagate its self so to speak??

I don't know. I use H4350 in my 375 H&H, and IMR 7828 or RL22 in my 300 Weatherby. If you go to the Speer reloading manual, you will notice that it recommends CCI magnum primers for any load that uses ball powder. But when I tried CCI magnum primers with ball powder (748) in a .223, I got much poorer accuracy than what I got with a regular, non-magnum, CCI primer. Also, when I first started loading for the .375 H&H, I thought I should use magnum primers, specifically the Federal 215. But I communicated with someone from Hodgdon about this, and their representative said that I didn't need magnum primers, that ordinary Winchester Large Rifle primers were sufficient. So I switched to the Winchester primers and got improved accuracy.

But if you are loading for something really large, then even a magnum primer may not be sufficient. Saeed reports that in loading for the .700 Nitro Express he got hangfires from even Federal 215 primers, so he started adding a bit of Bullseye -- maybe 2 grains -- over the primer before he loaded whatever powder he was using, and this solved the problem.

Everyone should go to Saeed's reloading site here, where he reports his results of testing loads with different primers. (I just tried to find this and failed. Maybe it's now been removed from the Accuratereloading website?)

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone found any difference between the Federal 215 LR mag primers and the CCI LR mag 250 primers? I have both and will begin loading in a 340 Weatherby to see which producest the best results.

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

How important are primers?

I find primers to be pretty damned important - I can't get ANY of my reloads to go bang without 'em!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anyone found any difference between the Federal 215 LR mag primers and the CCI LR mag 250 primers? I have both and will begin loading in a 340 Weatherby to see which producest the best results.

I haven't tried CCI 250, but I have used Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primers in a .300 Weatherby, and I could not ascertain any significant difference between them and Federal 215 primers.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quite a bit in both accuracy and velocity, the 215M's gave me a good bit more velocity, comparatively speaking, but the SD's of the 250's was much better with the particular propellant, Ramshot Hunter. This was in a 338WSM. I've NEVER been able to get more accuracy from CCI's in any rifle in which I've tried them and this was the only time I got better SD's with them. It truly depends on too many factors to enable claiming that one primer is better than another.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote