Find
Notify
Tools

40 grain in fast twist rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have a .223 Savage 10FP with 24" barrel. It has a 1 in 9" twist rate. I wonder if 40 grain bullets will be stabilized at high velocity using Varget, BenchMark, or H335 powders? I'm thinking of the Nosler Ballistic Tip. I have no trouble getting 69 grain MatchKings to group around .5". Now, I want to go the other way and experiment with some 40 grain bullets. Anyone have experience with light bullets in fast twist barrels?

NoCAL

[This message has been edited by NoCAL (edited 05-24-2002).]

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Jenks>
posted
NoCal, I dont think you can over stabilize a projectile but you may be able to spin and push it to the point that friction will cause it to come apart before it reaches the intended target. Let me know ho the Benchmark works out for you. Layne Simpson and now Nolser #5 claim it as the best with light pills. It appears to provide a considerable increase in mv over Varget and W748.
Keep us posted

<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot the 40's in 14",12",10"and 9" tubes. All make superb accuracy. H-335 is my propellant of choice in the 223/223Ackley........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jenks,
I've been using BenchMark for a month or so now. I can attest to the velocity claims. 27.5 grains under a 52 grain Starke bullet clocked over 3400 fps from my 24" barrel. Accuracy was much better though around 3250 with 26 grains. Varget has always been my powder of choice but I'm starting to really like BenchMark. Haven't tried it with any other calibers.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I ran some 35gr. v-max bullets through my h-bar[1-8]Was surprised with the accuracy.I was using imr4198 powder and rem.7 1/2 primers

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Shooting 40 gr. VMax in a 22.5" 700 Remington PSS, 1:9 twist .223 Ackley and pushing them toward 4000 fps. They seem to get down range just fine, and in a nice tight little group.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
The 40gr V MAX works good in my 1 in 9 barrel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello all

I am in the process of building my dream rifle in .22-250 , and the smith told me that in his oppinion I should go for the 1 in 9 twist as this will stabilize the heavier bullets if I ever decide to hunt with it , and works great with the lighter ones too. The only problem he said I might have is to shoot casts in this barrel as it would rip the bullet apart before it even exits the muzzle [Smile] .

Regards
Rudie Potgieter

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote