Find
Notify
Tools

How to shoot a television
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
I know this is whacky but I have a friend who is an artist and he would like to use an old non working tv in his art with a bullet hole trough the screen.

Now he asked me to put an hole trough it but he would like to have the efect with an hole in the middle with cracks running from it. Now my problem is will this effect work with a high velocity bullet or slow. By high velocity what speed and by low velocity how slow ?

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a shooting session is necessary!
I am inclined to believe that you are going to need to drill a small hole into the picture tube before the shot to remove the vacum inside the tube. After that experiment with bullet size, weight and speed to determine what gives the desired effect. I would tend to think big, slow and heavy will give the desired results but then again a subsonic 22 might do the trick as well.

Pictures of the tests and results will be cool!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I agree you`ll have to find a way to relieve the vacume in the tube before you attempt to shoot it. My dad used to strip old tvs for parts (he repaired old tube type tvs as a hobby)and I would shoot the burnt out tubes with a pellet gun to break them up for the trash. The tubes would implode on impact, USUALLY collapsing most of the tube, satisfying results to a young boy with a new BB gun [Big Grin]
You might try to knock a hole in the cathode in the rear of the tube and see if it will bleed with out damaging the front and go from there..

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I see I will definitely drill a hole first.
But I'm still stuck with what bullet and what velocity I don't have a .22 but what about 303 215 grain bullet at 2000 fps ?

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Greg is correct. The picture tube is a vacuum inside. If you shoot the screen without releasing this vacuum, the entire thing will probably implode.

The tube will have a fair charge of electricity in it, which could remain there for a very long period of time--even after the set has been disconnected from power. There isn't enough there to kill you (unless you use a pacemaker!) but it will make you go YEEEEOOOWWWW [Eek!] if you get hold of it, or better put, if it gets hold of you.

Do this: On the back side of the picture tube, you'll see the flyback transformer return line. It goes from the flyback transformer (little black thing about the size of your fist) to the tube itself, where it attaches with a suction cup to the back of the tube. You'll see it...

This suction cup isn't what's holding the return line in place, though. It is held with a metal spring clip which extends through the hole in the tube, underneath this suction cup. Take an insulated pair of pliers, and squeeze the base of the suction cup, which will retract the metal tongs of the clip, and you can remove the flyback return line. You'll hear a "whooshing" sound as air rushes into the vacuum.

Once this return line has been removed, there will be no charge left in the tube, and of course, no vacuum.

Then I would shoot it with a "CB cap," or other such very low velocity .22 cartridge. You may even want to try a .22 caliber air rifle. This will keep the bullet from going on through the back of the tube, taking off the yoke, and possible creating a secondary fracture that would ruin the effect your freind is looking for.

Best of luck. Wear safety glasses, and stand back!

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
303 size would work! How many tubes do you have to play with? (Hopefully more than 1 [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 rimfire will work just fine with desired results-my old TV set bought the farm this way!

Posts: 71 | Location: Ocean Isle Beach NC | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Try to aim so that the bullet will exit through the yoke of the tube. This should decrease the liklihood of a secondary fracture.

As Greg says, you may need some to practice on!

Dan

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Just one tube if it works it works if not tough shit. MY friend did tell me he won't care that much as long as the tv looks like it has been hit by something with meaning [Big Grin]

Maybe my 375 hehehehe [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture with the desired effect abet on a window!

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari,

Unfortunately the world lost many of the secrets of television shooting when Elvis made the trip to the big Graceland in the sky. But, I have researched this a bit and I can tell you that the advice posted above is good. The only thing I'd add is that the 44 Magnum is probably going to be your weapon of choice.

Actually I have one more thing to add: years ago I saw an art exhibit in lower Manhattan that featured a TV with a bullet hole through the screen for one of the pieces. I don't recall the artists name. From an originality standpoint, your friend may be better off shooting a toilet.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Kentucky Fisherman>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Aquavit:
From an originality standpoint, your friend may be better off shooting a toilet.

And that's known as "shooting the sh*t," right, Aquavit? We do a lot of that here in Kentucky, especially around deer season. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Safari-Hunt don't fall for this crap. Just shows another misuse of a firearm. This "so called" art
is bunk! Back when I was in advertising design in college the Cambells soup can kid (Andy Warhol) was in vogue. Everybody wanted to be like him & still do. He & his ilk have become become Idols to young aspiring artist. They wouldn't make a pimple on Michel Angelo's ass! Do your artist friend a BIG favor & steer him in the right direction. Now i'll get of my soap box. [Smile]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a shitter once. Close range (in an abandoned house) with a .50 cal muzzleloader equals dead toilet; shattered the ol'girl and I should've been wearing safety glasses and ear plugs. What kids will do for fun.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Ok,
I dont know what kinda bullet you want but I can tell you this.

Relieve the pressure NOT BY DRILLING A HOLE, but by removeing the back of the TV, and then removing the harness that goes to the picture tube. Behind that you will see a glass nipple. Bend the prongs of the tube out of the way, then crush this nipple with a pair of pliers. You will hear air hiss into the tube.

When no more hiss, fire when ready!
Wait 24 hours before you do this. With the power off. This way the charge will bleed down. And you wont get another surpirse. That secondary anode is kinda like a Arizona rattlesnake......

I used to fix these things for a living.

Now Im helping create art with them.

Go figure.

Have fun.

<Poppy09>
posted
Transparent bullethole stickers, I see them on the low riders around here all the time. At least I think that's what they are. Art huh? Jim...... [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
Safari-Hunt don't fall for this crap. Just shows another misuse of a firearm. This "so called" art is bunk!

That's exactly what I thought when I first read the original post.