New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: NEW HANDLOADERS, BEWARE!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
FWIW I use a universal decap die (deprimer) then tumble to keep grit out of the sizing dies. When sizing the deprimer pin will punch any media out of the primer hole/pocket and use collect neck size dies which need no lube. If you need to tumble to remove lube after full length sizing just tumble again and a quick blast from the air compressor (or back thru the univ. decap.) will remove media which may have taken up residence instead of trashing the cases.Then prime. Now you can justify buying an air compressor with the money saved buying cheap media.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The rice powders up too badly even when you wash and dry it. As you use it you obtain small pieces that do get stuck in the primer or flash hole. I gave it a try for about 6 months and as I write this I'm looking at twenty pounds that we still have to eat. Save yourself the headach and use the walnut shells.roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend was using now , rice , as a media , mostly for pistol cases 9 mm and 40 , he never have a best cleaning media , cheap and clean cases fast , I'll try it next time

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gate, how do you get the stuck media out of the flash holes of the cases that are primed, then put in the tumbler? You're asking for trouble if you do it like that. From what I've heard, it causes some real wide velocity swings and terrible accuracy to have a piece of media in the flash hole. Even noticeable hangfires!

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote