Find
Notify
Tools

Ever washed ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
So, has anyone ever washed loaded cartridges in the washer? I came home from hunting yesterday evening and my wife grabbed my pants and washed them without checking the pockets this morning.

So, I my chap stick, pocket knofe, bullet drop notes, and 5 300 Win Mag rounds are now nice and clean.

Thoughts?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
No problem-----when you fire the washed ammo the primer will dry the powder but only if you used Mag Promers!!!!!!! stir

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've washed cartridges on several occasions, they've all fired without drama. If your .300's were factory ammo I wouldn't have a second thought about taking them out hunting but if it bothers you then save them for target practice.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
shotshells but never rifle or handgun ammo. the shotshells did not fire.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a Remington ad in ODL that showed a vest full of the new all plastic shells. They were reported to function with no problems.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The ammo in question are my own reloads. I can shake the cartridges and hear the powder, so I think they might be dry, but who knows?

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, at the start of the 3 minute prep period on the 900 yard line a cold front blew in which generated a heavy thunderstorm complete w/heavy rain and hail. I dumped my score book, ammo (handloads) etc. in the shooting stool saddlebag after relay was scrubbed and headed back to the 1000 yard line to wait out the storm.

Decided to shoot the 1000 yard relay after match resumed a couple of hours later and discovered the saddle bag was half full of cold water (temp. had dropped 15 degrees or so) and the ammo was completely submerged.

All rounds fired without incident and were on target, even @ 1000 yds.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd actually be MORE concerned that the cycles hadn't caused the powder to break into smaller sized pieces.

As when some tumble loaded rounds in a case tumbler.

Then you really ARE going to have problems. FWIW I'd pull the rounds and re-prime and reload with fresh powder.

Like many things the cost saved isn't worth the risk...or of a bullet stuck halfway up the barrel!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enfieldspares, that old story about tumbling ammo changes the burn rate is an old wives tale. Discussed in AR several times.

I think the original story was started by a outdoor writer apparently on a slow news day. He felt that driving around with your hunting ammo in the glove box of your truck would jostle the ammo enough to change the burn rate. Even though several ammo companies, and several hundred folks with IQs above 9.5 declared he was full of shit, the myth hangs on.

I've washed ammo before and it always worked when I shot it but it was still in the back of my mind and so I would only shoot it at targets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to run it through the dryer before you shoot it. 60 minutes on "High" should do the trick.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read some tests where someone pooled up gun cleaner/oils on the back of pistol cartridges to see if it would seep in and "ruin" the round, and none did. I'm pretty sure as long as tension is good on the bullet and the primer had some friction going in, it should be dry inside. but if you have any doubt just pull the bullet and load it up again.

Posts: 79 | Location: northwest | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Just be sure to run it through the dryer before you shoot it. 60 minutes on "High" should do the trick.

No way-----Permanent Press Cycle!!!!!! shame

We do not want any wrinkles in the "jacket" now do we?

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's funny. Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm happy to report all things are well. I took a little fall in the mountains on Sunday chasing elk when a rock slipped out from under my left foot, putting a pretty good ding in my scope. Therefore, I headed to the range this morning to check every thing out. I used the rounds my wife conveniently washed for me. The three shots were 2 1/4" high and within 3/4" of an inch of each other. Now, to take the remaining two and put them thru the lungs of a bull elk later this week! Big Grin

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I have run my ammo though the washer and dryer. Finding them in the washer I m not happy but it happends. When I find them in the dryer, someone gets an ass chewing. Eather myself or the Mrs. Depends on who dose the wash....

Some still work some dont.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote