New
Find
Notify
Tools

F A MATCH 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While in this cleaning and sorting phase, I found a good amount of FA Match brass. Tumbled and sized, I happened to measure the base in front of the extractor groove. It measured .4685 to .469
With so much brass measuring .464-465 it's great to have some that wont bulge at the base in some of my more generous chambers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While in this cleaning and sorting phase, I found a good amount of FA Match brass. Tumbled and sized, I happened to measure the base in front of the extractor groove. It measured .4685 to .469 With so much brass measuring .464-465 it's great to have some that wont bulge at the base in some of my more generous chambers.

I have 30/06 dies that are mistakes. All of the other 30/06 dies I own will size the .4685" and .469" cases. I do not have chambers that will allow case head expansion. I can load ammo with enough powder to increase the case head diameter and I can use bullets that are too heavy.

I also have small base dies. If fire a case that causes the case head to expand from .464" to .469" I am doing something very wrong.

And then there is the recall.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I said bulge at the base,I mean in front of the web. Many chambers will leave a bulge there as brass .464 at the solid portion, tapers of course. Starting with larger brass at the web, means less bulge showing.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Fa Match is good brass. I like it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tumbled and sized, I happened to measure the base in front of the extractor groove.

quote:
When I said bulge at the base, I mean in front of the web.

OK

F. guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There will be a pressure ring on all brass at the point where the thickness of the brass in front of the web becomes thin enough that it will expand under pressure to match the diameter of the chamber. Obviously, if the case head at the web is larger, then the difference in the case head diameter and that of the case at the pressure ring will be smaller.

As pressure increases the pressure ring is formed further rearward on the brass since the higher pressure is able to deform thicker brass.

At fairly low pressures the pressure ring may not be particularly noticeable since it will be further forward and more gradual.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have had you explain what I meant the first time Stonecreek. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should have had you explain what I meant the first time Stonecreek.

And I would not have gotten involved had you not mentioned FA NATIONAL MATCH, it would have been more interesting to me had you mentioned FA57 NATIONAL MATCH.

F. Guffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what you mean F. Guffey with that post, but it doesn't matter, all's good from what I see.