New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: FEDERAL 338 WIN MAG BRASS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You may well have a problem finding any of the brass in question. I believe Federal has stopped selling brass as components completely.

It would be expensive but I guess you could shoot some factory stuff and save the brass. I am not sure it would be worth it, though I feel factory ammo has improved a lot in the last few years.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll look at home tonight to see if I have some you can have.

Terry

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry. It's amazing, I loaded some 338s with some left over Fed brass I had and my standard 71.1gr of RL-19 with 250gr Hornadys and NPs. The rifle normally shoots 1" groups with boring regularity, but the Fed cases shrank the groups to 1/2". No big deal, 1" is plenty good, but I was impressed! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I run my fired brass thru walnuts in the vibrator before sizing, and then again after sizing,to clean out any lube, inside and out.

That's the answer for preventing scratches on the dies. That's exactly why I always brush the inside area of all cases before sizing.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote