New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget & .308 loads?
 Login/Join

Picture of GaryO
posted
How does Varget rate with this cartridge using 150 grain bullets? BTW: what is the correct way to pronounce Varget? Var-get, or Var-gay? Thanks...

Gary

Posts: 7 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: 14 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Idaho it's VAR-GET, in France I't may be Var-go but I doubt if you can order is under the name Vargo everyone would be giving you a funny look! Roll Eyes

Var-get is a great powder in the .308. Arguably the best powder for the .308.

I use Varget, CFE 223, and WW-748 in my .308, but the 308 isn't picky about powders and H4895, IMR-4064 and a host of powders work just fine in the .308.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryO:
How does Varget rate with this cartridge using 150 grain bullets? BTW: what is the correct way to pronounce Varget? Var-get, or Var-gay? Thanks...

Please be careful with your language, I don't think our Australian friends would be too happy with anyone pronouncing their powder Var-GAY.

Just call it AR2208 as that is what it is and it sounds more in keeping with shooting and reloading Big Grin

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can say Target then you can pronounce Varget!

Great powder (as AR2208) for the .308 Win

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1977 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Varget is actually a great powder for a lot of rounds but especially the 308.

I have two powders Varget and H4350

I have loaded 6.5x55, 7x57, 270win, 308, 30-06, 7.62x54r, 8x57, 338 Galaxy, 338-06, 358 win, 9,3x64, 376 Steyr, and 375HHmag and never felt disadvataged

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've been working up loads for my 308 with Varget, but for 165 gr bullets. Finally got what I wanted today - 165 grain Aframe at 2,770 fps right at an 1" group. I'm going to try and get it tighter by going longer on the COL; shorter makes it worse. Right now I have it at 2.810" with 46.5 gr of Varget. This was the max Swift manual load. The lighter loads I started with were inaccurate as heck. I'm also going to try some Norma 203B - same charge.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes, VARGET is a great powder for the .308 alone with 4895 ,4064 but my go to powder is RL-15. but, that's just me..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Mr. Vines, I too favor RL-15. But you cannot do wrong with Varget in the 150 bullet range.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryO:

Var-GET for TAR-GET get it?

Varget has quickly become one of my favorite powders, giving me excellent results in the 223, 243, and 308 so far.. with a variety of bullet weights.. I think it is becoming the "4895" of the 21st century.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

As eagle27 mentioned, we down here Australia where Var-get is made, refer to it as AR-2208 and it one of the best powders in my experience, for the .308Win! It is all I use in my 3 x .308's these days.

I think the Var-get name comes from the versatility of this powder. That being, its good for use in both Varmint (.223Rem etc) and Target (.308Win etc) caliber rifles?

Hope that helps

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I believe that Varget is just about the most versatile powder out there. Not only is it good for the .308, but for just about any cartridge you can think of (of course there are a few exceptions). It also meters well, is very accurate and seems to spread out the recoil as a gradual push rather than a hard kick. It has been hard to find lately but I scored two pounds yesterday and the LGS. A bit pricey, but I had rather just pay it than to be without.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found it awful hard to find Varget in stock at my usual stores for the last two+ years. I did manage to find and buy an 8lb bottle of IMR4064 which is my go-to powder for 308 when I can't get any Varget.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon envisioned the powder as a varmint and target reloading powder, hence the acronym Varget.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Varmit + target = Varget.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I use Varget (AR2208) in both my .308 and my 375 H&H - great powder.

BTW, Homer, I use Benchmark 2 (Benchmark to non-Aussies) in my .223 - also a great powder.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote