THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot in the 45-70? ? Seafire have any info?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
As the title says I am looking for some loading data for the RCBS 300 grain CGC bullet (mine are 325 grains fully outfitted) and possibly the Hornady 300 grain jacketed HP also.

Does the 40% rule seem to hold for the straight wall cartridges? I will be staying at the lower end of loads since this is for the Contender and Remington Rolling Block.

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
btt

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hi Louis,

I aint tellin ya these will be safe in any other gun BUT i have used the following with excellent results!! These should give you an idea of a good starting load.

444 Marlin - 15.0 blue dot, Lee 310 RNFPGC
405 Winchester - 16.0 blue dot, Mountain Molds 305 RNFP
405 Winchester - 16.0 blue dot, Saeco 360 PFP

I will also be trying blue dot in the 475 Linebaugh once i receive the barrel!

Feel free to contact me via email or on my board if you wanna discuss these loads....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Manual 2nd Edition has a "Trapdoor" level load of 16.5gr with a 300gr jacketed projectile. It claims 1100fps at 16100CUP. The following site may also be of use. www.gmdr.com/
I'll be working with Blue Dot and the 45/70 and 458WM as soon as fresh supplies are imported into Australia, which is Aug-Sept at this stage... At that point I'll post my findings.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TCL, The late Frank Marshall Jr. of the Cast Bullet Assoc. recommended 13gr. of Unique with CB's in your weight range. I've tried it and it is a tack driver. I think you can cautiously interpolate a load with B. Dot knowing what Unique will do (~1,100 fps according to Lyman). ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post

I am using 13.6 Herco with the RCBS 300 (325 with Felix lube and check) and it is an accurate load in my Remington Rolling Block and the 16.25" Contender. I am about out out of the Herco (bought many moons ago to load LEAD duck and goose loads for my 20 gauge (worked very well too)). I just bought a keg of Blue Dot so my plan is too switch to the new stuff and loads.

Geez hope I can find a load for the 219 Donaldson and cast bullet that matches what the Herco would do.