Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Brass for 300 Blackout
 Login/Join

posted
Im tired of looking for 300 brass and have decided to just make my own, what is the best way to go, should i use 223 or is it better to use 5.56, do i need to aneal the necks after forming and cutting to length, is there any name brand that you feel is better than others, thanks for the input, bubba.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just do a you tube search there are several out there showing you how.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I already know how to make it, was wanting to know what is better to use 223 brass or 5.56 and what brand of brass is better.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Anneal the brass before you size them. It just works so much better.
As for brass,any quality brass will work.
I only use .221 Fireball brass as it was designed to be made from.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy uses 5.56mm blanks because he gets them for free at work.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I can tell there is no benefit of one over the other as far as 223/5.56 goes. Blanks will work as well as someone else said. The fireball brass is easiest but in the end you can make them from just about anything in those ranges. As far as brands of brass go I don't think that matters either as long as it isn't some cheap stuff from Asia. Everything seems to be pretty equal otherwise, at least from the range brass I use. I tend to use a lot of WW and LC just because that is the most abundant. I suppose if I was inclined to keep trying different makes I could squeeze a little more accuracy out of them but don't feel it is worth the effort for the slight gain that might be had.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is more of a question of which dies to use.

3 guys at my work bought 300 Blackouts for hog hunting. This was during the height of the ammo panic and they could not get any ammo.

I offered to reload for them and purchased Lee dies. I had a lot of problems with these dies. The dimensions on the dies were cut so that the rounds would go into the chamber, the bolt would close but would not close fully. When I pulled the trigger, the hammer struck the firing pin and nothing happened.

Switched to RCBS and had no further problems. I am still a fan of Lee dies, just not for the 300 Blackout.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: I already had 300 Whisper brass, and then some loaded Blackout ammo, so I haven't had to form cases for the blackout.

That said I'd try for Remington .223's if you can find them:

I find Remington cases form easier with less splits for wildcat case forming in general than Winchester or Hornady or slightly easier than Federal.

I believe 5.56 military is slightly thicker than .223, which would make it slightly harder to form and more likely to require neck reaming.

HTH,
Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your info, going to see if i can locate some new 223 brass to form, bubba.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bubba, as previously mentioned, the 221 Fireball was the cartridge that JD Jones originally used to make the 300 Whisper. Less problem with thickened necks as can result with 223/5.56.

I have been shooting a Whisper for the past 6 or so years and have used all 3 to form but I can attest that I have fewer problems using 221 FB.

If the cost of new 221 is not significantly higher than new 223 you might give the 221 a try.

Gary

posted Hide Post
I trimmed a 5.56 case and formed it and loaded a 125 grain bullet and fired it, then tried to fit a bullet into the case, it went in easily, so i guess my chamber was cut large enough to make using 5.56 brass ok, ill keep close tabs on neck diameter and pressures, thanks again for all the helpful info, bubba.

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Any brass will work I use Lake City because I can pick a lot of it at the gun range..Either 223 or 5.56 will work as you are cutting the brass at the neck. I use mine in an AR so I'm sure the chamber is cut big.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote