New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic scales
 Login/Join

<Frank>
posted
I was planning on getting one of these gadgets to use checking powder charges and sorting cases. There seem to be so many models to choose from. I use a Harrells measure and don't plan on ever using one of those powder dispensers. So should I still get the upper model which has the infrared port, or will the lower unit work fine. They say the lower ones are accurate with lesser charges, I do not go over 70grns. I am talking about the pact or RCBS scales. Any opinions?

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 05-24-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one of the PACT BBK scales a couple of years ago. It's great for sorting cases and like tasks, but I do not use it for measuring powder. More expensive scales might not be a problem, but mine would do the following:
-take several minutes to "warm" up.
-would get knocked out of wack when the a/c would come on in the house
-very sensitive to drafts
-would begin to "drift" when trickling powder. This was really troubling and I got to where I wouldn't trust it. The chip in the scale will look at small variations in weight, and try to decide if they are valid or not. Trickling kernels of powder in would make it crazy.
-would require recalibrating several times in an hour long reloading session.

I have gone back to the balance beam for measuring powder!

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After 35 years of reloading, I tried an electronic, then promptly went back to the balance beam. I'm not such an old dog that I can't learn new tricks, but after using the electronic, I found that it was a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with StoneCreek on this one. I have an RCBS electronic scale that I don't even bother to take out much any more. It seems persnickety at times and will sometimes provide different readings for the same bullet even though it is in a stable environment. My old RCBS 5-0-5 works just fine, takes no time at all to setup, and I feel comfortable with the consistent readings it gives.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
After 35 years of reloading, I tried an electronic, then promptly went back to the balance beam. I'm not such an old dog that I can't learn new tricks, but after using the electronic, I found that it was a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I have been using an RCBS electronic scale - the battery powered type, for so many years, and I love it

------------------
www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67567 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't reload too many rounds each year, but the Pact electronic scale I have works great.

Airs drafts affect any sensitive electronic scale. I reload when it is cool, so I don't have AC nor a fan creating drafts, and before I prepare for reloading what I do is start the scale to let it stabilize for 20 minutes, then I calibrate it with the provided calibration weights. After using electronic scales for a few years, I could never go to balance-beam. I weight every powder charge when reloading for my .338.

Keep in mind that two or three granules of powder (RL-19 or RL-22) can increase the weight on the scale and indicate so on the display; a prolonged air draft can be quite heavy on any scale.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pact BBK and weigh every charge for Palma shooting. I really don't like it and would not recommend it but it is the best I have right now. I was looking at
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pscale.htm
which is interesting. Of course the ultimate would be to get a scale that will do 1/100 of a grain (1/1000 of a gram)

<green 788>
posted
I believe that even a cheap balance beam is more accurate than an electronic. I have an electronic that I used to use back when I was suffering from the illusion that the weight of empty cases was important information, but these days, it rarely comes out of the box.

As for measuring charges, it would often change .1 up or down several seconds after seeming to have settled down. Checking the electronic scale's displayed weight against the balance beam showed as much as .2 grains error.

I routinely use my 505 RCBS and it does just fine...

Dan Newberry
green 788