Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

posted
Can anybody out there tell me if any of the currently avail. compound leverage presses has a big enough opening to load the .505 gibbs?

Also, who is making the dies, I don't see them in the Redding or RCBS catalogs under any of their catagories.

Perhaps I will need to have a custom set made up with the reamer when the gun in chambered?

Thanks,
Vern

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee has come out w/ a new press that was designed to handle the .50 BMG rd. I'm thinkin' if that'll fit, the .505 sure oughta'.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's about 1/10" longer than the Rigby, so I'd imagine any that could work with the Rigby would be good.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Ammomaster should. It takes my .45-120 cases easily & those are 3 1/4" long. It's hell for stout too and you have the RCBS "no problem" support. I screwed up 1 of the vertical supports on mine, called RCBS and told them of the problem & emphasized it was my fault. I asked them to send me a new set & to charge me for them. They sent a new set for free. Can't beat that.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding Ultramag press does a fine job of loading the big stuff.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't understand why you want to reload the 505 Gibbs when Cabelas has them for sale. For 13.50 per round you can buy A-Square ammo. Is that a good deal or what? Just kidding that would be taking a hit in two places.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys,
anybody know who makes the dies or should I have the chambering gunsmith make them?
vern

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS and CH4D make dies for the Gibbs round. There are sevral others that can make custom dies for you but all of them are very pricey.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Ammomaster press is working nicely for my 505. The new rockchucker supreme will work but is not as tall as the Ammomaster. The RCBS dies are over $300 but their usual high quality. I've been shooting 115 grs Rel 15 as described on the AA loading data board, with 600 gr Woodleigh PP's, Barnes solids and RCBS lead gaschecked bullets. All shoot well and close to the same point of impact. The 525's don't seem to have a lot less recoil so I went with the heavy bullet. All loads knock you around pretty good.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting my gun back but probably will be a couple more months. At least that gives me some time to assemble the necessary reloading equipment and components.
I have three presses and load for over thirty calibers,but have nothing with an appropriately large opening as this is my first truly large bore (.458 and .375 H&H not in the same class)

It's all Jeffe's fault, he had to go and sell that .505 brass and get me started.

Thanks again, guys for the info.
When I get everything assembled I'll let you know how it shoots.

vern

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever get it assembled? How's it shoot?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote