Random flyers always to left?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two 7mm rem mag Browning rifles that I
have been reloading 160gr and 150gr bullets with
various powders IMR4831, WXR, and RL-19. Both will
shoot sub MOA at 100 and 200yds, but if I shoot 5
rounds one or two will fly left sometimes as much as 2" and about the 9-o'clock area. I am right handed and benchshoot with sandbags. I get sub MOA
groups with factory winchester or remington 5 shots. Could my reloading dies or technique be the problem? Any help appreciated!

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My idea would be you are tensing up during the 5 shot string and putting your shoulder muscle into the rifle before it recoils. Try a sandbag between the rifle and your shoulder and see if the group stays centered. I had a similar problem with a BAR in 300 win mag till I bagged my shoulder.

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it's just the barrel heating up, and throwing the shot's

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
Does the sqame thing happen with another shooter using your rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Afriend of mine gets the same results when he shoots my gun with my reloads
and he is a better marksman than me. I will try the sandbag to shoulder technique and see if that
helps any. I have let the barrel cool as much as 5
minutes between shots and still get flyers. The BLR is worse than the A-bolt it seems. Shots number 1 and 2 are often touching, so heat may be the problem. The problem is more noticeable with
Speer 160gr btsp than with Nosler 150BT. I noticed that the Speer 160gr showed a overall length difference from the same lot number. I attribute this to the soft lead tips but I didn't think that would make much difference. Again I have gotten sub MOA groups with factory ammo in
both rifles! Thanks again,BLR7...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a rifle built on a 700 action chambered for the 308. I had a load worked up that would shoot 4 of 5 175 gr. Sierra MK's in to the low .3's nearly every time and on of the shots in the string would go 1.25" left at 9:00 every time. I tried everything. Finally I tried changing primers and the flyer went a way. The group size opened up to the mid .5's but no flier finally. You might try changing primers. It helped me. It about drove me nuts I know that.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight...RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're right-handed and you get a little rough on the trigger- as in jerk- not a flinch, for me they always pull left and maybe a little high. I know, i've done it. It happens to me mostly when shooting someone else's rifle that has a heavier trigger pull than mine. I keep mine all at 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. I'll bet if you get a trigger job, they go away, or become less severe.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try using different primers. I never thought about it but I always use CCI250 magnums
they might be causing the flyers. As for the trigger pull; the A-bolt is a crisp 3lbs and the
BLR was worked to about 3.5lbs. Both guns are one
shot kills out of a cold barrel but I am about to
use them for wild bore hunting and I want all shots to be POA if possible. I will probably hunt
with factory loads until I get this problem worked out. I really think it is my reloads, some
kind of inconsistency somewhere. The A-bolt is a
new rifle so I have been cleaning between shots and between 5 shot groups. If I could measure only
4 out of 5 shots I would have several 0.6" groups.
Anyway I thank you all for the advice and I will
keep trying! BLR7