Find
Notify
Tools

ALL Variety of Bullets Discussion...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
I have read many discussions on a variety of forums about the many, many, MANY bullets that manufacturers make. I even broached the subject on a previous thread many moons ago. But I am still baffled by all the bullets and uses. I have some idea, but does anyone know of any books, research materials, etc. that can help and describe to me what is what? From jacket materials, to whatever...LOL!

Here is a dilemma I face. Like everyone else there are many flashy bullets for a variety of uses. SOme for hunting, some for shooting, some for long range, some because of their weight and hold retention of PSI longer, to match grade bullets that the manufacturer says NO to using them for hunting, but people use them and say they work great, to manufacturers match grade bullets used for targets, but say they work outstanding for hunting, to exposed tips, to hollow points, to ballistic tips, to bonded cores, to cup and cores and I am sooooo lost.

I know that alot of hype is marketing and sales. The pretty gleaming glitter strikes us. There are those who have good luck with a bullet while others have bad luck with a certain manufacturer..and still others out there say the standard cup n cores have taken game for eons...why not stay with them? Boatails, to regular tails to protected nose, to exposed nose, to thin jacket, thicker jackets....Sooooooo...as you can tell I am ALL confused! From light weights to faster speeds to heavier weights and better ballistics against the wind and for retention of velocity and PSI...to whatever!! I AM LOST!! and since I was a Marine for a long time...the KISS method works... LOL! ANd NO...I realize not all bullets will fill every single spot. But I would like to keep my bullet collection down. I've finally pared my powder selections down...LOL!

Like most of us we work hard for our money. I like to keep as much of mine as possible as the other guy wants me to give up as much as possible. So see if I can get this Ok...cup and core and ballistic tips, SSTs, are OK for deer sized game and below? Bonded core, AB, IB, and Scirrocos, Partitions, TSX, A-frame types are more for larger game, thicker hides, for more pentration OR for game at extended ranges? Heavier bullets for longer ranges due to retention and bucking the wind? I know that there is no all to end all whatever...just hope to reduce the confusion. And then we have the A-MAX!! LOL...

Thanks for your help...

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Sinclair Internationals website and get a copy of Rifle Bullets For The Hunter. It was written by a collection of gunwriters with years of experience shooting every bullet at everything. It will answer all of your questions. The main reason for all of the different styles of bullets that I can tell, is that bullets have been getting tougher to withstand higher impact velocities without "blowing up" on target. It also depends on what you are shooting and at what range. Cape buffalo at 50yds need a different bullet than pronghorn at 400yds no matter what cartridge it came from because of impact velocity. Standard cartridges like .308, 30-06, or a .270, that have a muzzle velocity between 2700-2900fps work well with cup and core bullets. Cartridges like the Ultra-Mags, with muzzle velocities of 3200-3400fps need much stronger bullets to resist too much expansion up close, but almost act like solids at long range where velocity has dropped off. A bullet that expands well usually doesnt penetrate as well, and may lose some weight. Some retain alot of weight, penetrate well, but dont expand alot no matter what the range is because they are so heavily constructed. One bullet that comes close to the ideal is the Nosler Partition. The nose expands well at any range to about 400yds, then when the nose is peeled back and the lead is gone, the rear portion of the bullet at a smaller diameter keeps on going. Its expansion varies with velocity and range of impact, but seems to work well at all ranges if your rifle shoots them accurately. Hope this helps a little and good shooting!

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote