Find
Notify
Tools

What is the deal with Federal primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have loaded CCI primers for 32 years without exception. The other day friend asked me to load up some .223's for his son which I have done many times. My personal stash of primers rarely has any small rifle primers as I only shoot large rifle primers in my stuff, local supplier only had Federal small rifle primers so thats what I got.
I am finding that these Fed primers are really soft and some are horribly disfigured once they are in. I can't figure out if these primers are junk or if the primer pockets are super tight.
My method for priming is the same for CCI's which I've never had any of these troubles with.
What are your experiences?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, I've had similar experience with Fed primers. There are lots that swear by them, and a lot of bench guys won't shoot anything else. I hate em. I've only had three rounds I made not go bang, and you guessed it, all Fed primers. Rounds assembled identically to tens of thousands of others, and even the other 40+ in the batch they were in and for no good reason didn't fire.

I am only using the Feds I have for load development target rounds--will NEVER have on in a hunting load ever again.

I like CCI's and Win fine.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fish I'm feeling better already!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
horribly disfigured
Show us what that looks like.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Federal primers ARE very soft as compared to CCI's (or any other, for that matter). It was rumored that when ATF tried to find marginal AR-15's they would try to get them to double or go full auto due to "Slam Firing" using Federal ammo.
As for disfiguring them in loading the .223, is the brass military or commercial? If it's military, I could only guess the disfiguration is coming from inadequate removal of the crimped primer pocket. I really prefer Federals over others because of their great consistancy but, I know others have their favorites and I won't argue that point.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Federals for more than 35 years and have never had a bad primer. I have had CCI small pistol primers crack in the bottom of the firing pin dent. I have never had a bad Remington or Winchester primer either. I have messed up very few of any brand but when I did it was due to my own fault. I use a hand priming tool. Use a press to seat primers and you will have some screwed up because of bad alignment or a bad case.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote