Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt data from Hornady's manual...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I was in a gunshop the other day and was thumbing through the "shop" reloading manuals (specifically the Hornady manual) and saw some really good loading data for the 45 Colt (I'll be shooting a Contender) with a 240 gr bullet. There were two powders that gave up to 1450 fps. Can anyone give me the min/max loads and the 2 powders? Thanks

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Do you remember the Manual Number I will look when I get home. I don't have the newest version though.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Swede, I didn't happen to notice, but it didn't have too many miles on it. If yours has the data, that's good enough. Thank you.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
A lot of reloading data is available on the internet free from the powder manufactures.

These loads are out of the book I suggest that you purchase a new Hornady reloading manual or borrow one. Never start with MAX charge this information is only for "Ruger & T/C" firearms.
Use at your own risk I assume no responsibilty

Hornady Third Edition
Ruger & T/C Only Pg 381
250 gr Hollow Point #4520

Blue Dot Start 12.4grs 1050 Max 15.1grs 1300

2400 Start 15.2grs 1050 Max 19.9grs 1350

IMR 4227 Start 17.9grs 1050 Max 22.4grs 1300

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Great. Thanks for the info. Just what the doctor ordered.

Charles Bronson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you're loading a jacketed bullet.
1450 with cast is condusive to leading and poor accuracy in my experince, unless very hard and gas checked.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Definitely NOT cast bullets...I've tried them twice with 2 different mild calibers 45C and 45-70 and 3 diff. brands of bullets and it took me months to get that crap out of my barrels. I don't do lead bullets...ever..

Charles Bronson

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The problem with most commercial cast bullets is they are too small in dia, and the lubes are too hard. I've shot cast from 6.5mm on up to 50 caliber, in rifles and pistols, and they work great.

Anyhow, for your application, you'll find Lil gun and H-110 to be the top performing powders. A 10" contender barrel will generally be 100 fps faster than a 7 1/2" revolver. In modern revolvers, and the contender, the 45 colt will launch same weight bullets just as fast as a 44 mag. Which means a 10" contender should be capable of 1500-1600 fps with 240's, and 1400 fps with 300's. Just hold on they're whippy devils Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Paul, Thanks for the tips. I'll write those powders down and keep 'em in mind..

Charles Bronson

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Anyone got info from the newest Hornady Manual??

Charles Bronson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

For 240 grain XTP:

AA no. 9 17.9gr=1200FPS to max 22.9gr=1450FPS
2400 20.4gr=1200FPS to max 23.9gr=1450FPS

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Yup, that's the velocity range I remember. Thanks Steve

Charles Bronson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

You're welcome.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote