New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 need HELP..Advise please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need 243 load help!! Ihave a new 243 700 VLS. It wants to shoot.. This morning I loaded some ww brass, 87 gr horn. HPBT, varget 38.5 grains. and Fed 210M , it gave 3100 fps but shot into the 3's (5)shots. great accuracy but need how much more speed? , would like at least 3400 fps. shows no pressure signs at this level. CAN I GET THERE W/ VARGET BeFORE PRESSURE?? RECOMMEND ANYOTHER GOOD 243 LOADS AS I DON'T KNOW 243 yet.. thanx , Doc Stone

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Try good old IMR 4350 or RE15.
There's plenty of load data on them for 85-87gr bullets..
If your shooting .3s @ 3100fps and the rifle is consistent, sounds like you could live with what you got. I know I could.
JMO

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are probably getting near max, but it is hard to tell since every rifle is an individual. By the way, that load is a real shooter in my rifle too.

If you want more velocity, IMR 4831 or similar might give you more, but probably not 300fps. I have used it in 243 some, but it did not give me the accuracy I wanted for my particular application. Might be worth a try though for fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if 3400 fps is a realistic goal with an 87 gr bullet in a .243 winchester. You may need to step to a .240 Weatherby or 25-06 if you are serious about achieving that velocity with that bullet weight at safe pressure levels. On the other hand, I got pretty close to that with the 70 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with Accurate XMR-4350. Accurate's loading data shows only the 240 Weatherby achieving that velocity level with an 87 gr bullet, and that was with only one powder out of a 26" barrel. If I was getting groups in the 3's and 3100 fps with an 85 gr bullet in a .243 I would be satisfied.
PS There is no way you will be able to get there with Varget and that bullet weight with any 6mm at safe pressure levels. To get 3400 fps with an 85 gr bullet, you will need slower burning powder, a larger case, and a longer barrel.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanx for all the good info. I'll try to tweek a couple of loads today and I'll post results. We "ole" humans are never satisfied.. I reckon.. Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post

Doc:

I've been shooting 243's for years. The best powder that I've found for speed is H414. Sometimes you need to try a magnum primer to get it to work. I've done a LOT of chrono. testing of short barrel Model 7's in 243. I have been able to get them to shoot acceptably at 3100fps with the 18.5 inch barrel and H-414 with the 85gr. Nosler partition. If that HOrnady bullet just won't come arond don't be afraid to try different brands in that approximate weight range.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Stone,

Good to talk with you again!

I would say that you are probably within 50 fps or so of topping out with the 87 gr HPBT with any powder, even the much slower Rl-19 and IMR-4831 will top out in the 3100-3150 fps range with a 26" barrel. Some will be a bit faster but on average youare about there.

VarGet is a pretty fast burning powder for the 243, best suited for teh 55 to 70 gr bullet weights. I feel it is to fast for the heavier 87 gr pills.

Here is what I would recommend to you. Pick up a box of the 75 gr V-Max bullets from Hornady and try these powders; IMR-4831, Win 760, H or IMR 4350. All of these will drive the 75 gr V-Max to at least 3400 fps and perhaps 3450 in a 26" barrel.

As far as performance goes, the 87 gr HPBT has a B.C of .376, the 75 gr V-Max has a B.C. of .330. Given the 300 fps advantage of the lighter bullet, it will shoot flatter and buck the wind better then the heavier 87 gr HPBT.

In the event you want to use this rifle for hunting larger game like say deer, I would not use either of these two bullets but for varminting, I would surely choose the 75 gr V-Max on everything up to and including coyotes. For just paper punching, velocity is very unimportant, stick with the 87 gr pills at 3100 fps that shoot in the 3's.

If you want more speed, send the rifle to me and I will print the action and rechamber it with the 6mm-06 reamer I have. With a fine barrel, this reamer produces groups in the 1's and 2's driving the 55 gr Ballsitic Tip to 4400 fps. It also drives the 105 gr A-Max VLD bullets to 3450 fps with groups in the mid 2's. Quite impressive!

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote