Re: Fire forming brass for 7mm Rem. Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted
Bob338

Fair enough! I didn't think of that...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You are correct on the shorter body on the 358 Norma, which is an advantage. In the 300, the neck takes part of the shoulder in the reforming and you then have to ream or neck turn with the strong possibility of an eccentric neck. You also end up with the probability of donuts as you resize. Bin dere, dun dat.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
There's a problem missed in some of the above explanations. The spec for 7mm RM and all other belted magnums is for headspacing on the belt, not the shoulder. Sure, we all use the shoulder to headspace after neck sizing or partially FL resizing and that cuts down on working the brass. But he said the cases were going too far into his chamber. That means TC didn't cut the shoulder for the belt right, allowing the cases to go in the chamber until the shoulder stops it. That's wrong. It means that new cases are all going to get worked excessively, as they're made short (which was pointed out above) to allow headspacing on the belt.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Is Norma the only firm that makes the 358 brass? I have looked all over the net, and still can not find a drawing of the 358 Norma Mag. cartridge to compare with the 7 mm. Midway's site is down today, guess I will have to wait till I get home to check their catalog to see if they carry it.

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote