New
Find
Notify
Tools

hornady sst vs nosler bt's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for some real world comparison from those who have used both. particularly interested in 150 gr in .277 for my 270wsm and 140's for 7mm-08. How do they compare to one another on performance in whitetails. i'm still pretty satisfied with the nbt performance on whitetails at many different ranges to date so really have no desire to change but unfortunately nosler doesn't seem to be putting much stock out into the market and hasn't for some time it seems. thanks for any feedback you may provide.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Nosler seen a few critters get hit with sst s and they were dead no doubt but the damage I witnessed was similar to what a bullet looks like when it comes apart and leaves tiny pieces of lead and copper jacket behind.
Despite seeing this the bullets held together and still exited.
I prefer the basic old interlock over the sst.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ cal30 about basic old innerloc being a good bullet. But why not step up and use either "Accubond" or "Interbond". Those bullets are designed to hold up at WSSM velocity and I've been very happy with performance on both of them.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 130 gr. INterlock Hornady to most any cup and core bullet in my 270 or any other caliber for big game, even had good luck one elk for that matter..

The newer Nosler Accubonds seem to do as well as any other bullets so far..Either it or the Hornady are about perfect..Really like the Accubond 200 gr. in my 30-06 on elk, its a hammer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I prefer the NBT to SST, but have shot both and interchange them as they are available. 140gr Interlocks and NBTs are the bullet of choice in my 270 Win BAR.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My three sons use 139gr SST's in their 7mm-08s, one boy the Superformance factory load at a chronographed 2900fps and the other two boys reloads at 2885 fps with the same 139gr SST projectile. They all knock over red deer and tahr no problem, bull tahr are at longer ranges where the SST opens up nicely.

I think the SST in the WSM may open up too quickly at close range and higher velocity but would be okay as the range increases.
At present I am shooting the Federal 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip bullet in my 7mm WSM at a chronographed 3230fps. My youngest son used it to take two large red deer hinds at about 160m with a just under the spine shot and a through the shoulder shot, dropping both animals dead on the spot.

The bullet recovered from the shoulder shot was mushroomed perfectly with over 80% retained weight, the lead core bonded and retained tight the jacket. The 130gr Federal TBT bullet is available as a reloading component for the 270.

The nickel plated poly tipped Federal TBT is a nice looking bullet. My son commented that these bullets, from the 7mm WSM, certainly hit with authority.

139gr SST from 7mm-08 recovered from bull tahr shot at just over 200m. Core loose in jacket.

140gr Federal TBT from 7mm WSM recovered from shoulder shot large red deer hind at about 160m. Core firmly bonded and tight in jacket.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after trying the interbond, I wouldn't use an SST on anything but a prairie dog.

Interlocks are fine if the MV is 2900 or under.

I have some of the nosler interbonds,,, accubonds [whatever] loaded, but haven't tried them on anything yet so I got nuthin on them.

I'd sure like to try some of those Federals though.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have been using SST's in my 7mm-08 since last year. Not my first choice in bullets but I was gifted a large box of them a number of years back. They work fine as long as you dont push them to break neck speeds. I would probably look at using something else in a WSM

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Today's Nosler Ballistic Tips are as close to Accubond performance as they have ever been.

Of all the BTs that I've recovered none have ever lost more then 1/3

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
after trying the interbond, I wouldn't use an SST on anything but a prairie dog.

Interlocks are fine if the MV is 2900 or under.

I have some of the nosler interbonds,,, accubonds [whatever] loaded, but haven't tried them on anything yet so I got nuthin on them.

I'd sure like to try some of those Federals though.

The Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, as pictured below, has a solid copper shank and bonded core so should be as good as it gets with a soft point bullet. The recovered TBT bullet I show in my post above was found under the skin on the far side of a shoulder shot big red deer. They are available at least in 270 calibre 130gr & 140gr, and in 7mm 140gr & 160gr.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that pic looks almost perfect.
I'd try running some of them 7mm 140's right at 3-K.
I think they'd be real good on both mule deer and Elk.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
that pic looks almost perfect.
I'd try running some of them 7mm 140's right at 3-K.
I think they'd be real good on both mule deer and Elk.

Here's another image of the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullet I found showing bullet construction. As can be seen the jacket portion that mushrooms is quite sturdy compared to many other normal cup and core bullets so will stand up to high velocity impacts better than most.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info here guys, i located enough 270 nbts to maintain me for a while. Still coming up dry on the 7mm though. The federal tbt's look interesting. I may give them a try if i can located any of them in stock.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are looking for? an explosive bullets gives you the famous DRT and ruins a lot of edible meat, therefore a WW power point, Nosler partition, Accubond, Corelokt, woodleigh might allow the animal to run 50 or a 100 yards, leave a good blood trail and usually not ruin much meat. I look for about 3 or 4 inches of blood shot meat around the bullet hole or holes. Therefore Ive settled on the150 gr. WWPP in my 06 and 308, and the 140 gr swift in my 7x57...If I want to drop one on the spot I would opt for the 130 gr. Speer in the 7-08 or 57..but there are a number of other options..

Ive found BAl Tips and the SST to be overly destructive, unless you load them down to 2400 to 2600 fps.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote