New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full, Half, or Neck Size
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Do u folks full length re-size,use a full length die but back it off a couple turns, or do you use a nick size only die?

Advantages or disadvantegs?

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<Bad Bill>
posted
I use a FL die and adjust it to just "bump" the shoulder back 2/1000".

<.>
posted
I shoot an Ackley Improved and all the brass is fire formed. The brass requires a neck size die. It won't fit in a FL die.

I think the neck size die is superior in a bolt action rifle. Seems to put less wear/tear on the brass. No need to lube cases, just the neck.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
No hard rules here but I have N.S.O. dies for many of my high-performance calibers, from .220 Swift through .300. In many instances my max loading in a given cartridge is N.S.O., with a bit of extra powder. Not always, but often. In the DGR's, where the emphasis is on full reliability of function, I F.L.S. only.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I neck size only for the depth of the bullet that i use

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I neck/collet size if the rifle will feed well.I do have one rifle that likes a FL die backed off. I think you should find out what your rifle and the pressures will support.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I Fl always, works for me

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dedicated target, or varmint rifle. All my rifles are for big game hunting. So I chose to full-length resize everytime, trading case life, and maybe a tiny amount of accuracy, for reliability in the field.

Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

------------------
Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FL only,The deer dont seem to notice.....

Posts: 113 | Location: Hunter, Tx | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So I chose to full-length resize everytime, trading case life, and maybe a tiny amount of accuracy, for reliability in the field.

Hallalooyeah!!!
: )

Several times I have had to help hunters pry their bolt open because they tried to neck size their brass. It is a very dangerious thng to unravel. Usually you end up tearing the rim off under the extractor. Unless you have a high quality action and chamber It isn't goin to work. If the chamber is not perfectly round or the bolt face is not exactly square you will have huge problems getting that neck sized cartridge back into the chamber. The neck sized trick is fine for bench guns but not your average hunter. It has no place there. IF you have a P-17 or similar action that has the lugs set on an angle, actually an iterupted thread, you will be in trouble sooner or later. Usually at the worst possible time.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Scot, I don't know about everyone else, but ALL my hunting loads are once fired brass, neck sized only.

I use very mild loads with new brass, just warm enough to stretch the brass so the round headspaces on the shoulder.

Never had a problem extracting, never had a problem chambering. That included the round I managed to chamber with a chunk of wood on the case. Plenty of camming action in most bolts to close on that. Did have a VERY funky dent on that case, after firing, but it came out just fine.

There is, of course, a WHOLE LOT of difference between once fired with a mild load, and four or five times fired with hot loads...... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I do almost exactly as Dutch. Once fired, neck size only. Sometimes I'll take twice fired. Only difference is I fireform with the normal loads I will use, but then most of my hunting rifles use belted cases. If I were using unbelted cases I'd do exactly the same. Form with a mild load with bullet on the lands and/or a false shoulder on the neck to insure good forming. THEN I would neck size and go hunting.

Regardless how you do it, you need to insure all your hunting loads will chamber and extract BEFORE you go hunting.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob338 and others, I can agree here. All cartridges should be checked before going out and that includes factory stuff. Cycling them at the range is another one of those important things that often get overlooked. Gunwriters have written for years that you should only use FL or factory when hunting. They must be repeating what they read form the other writers.
You can spend big bucks on premium bullets, and they say not to be stingy. They should also mention cycling ammunition. It not only ensures the rounds are good, but can also reveal any odd conditions about your chamber.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Ohaygen>
posted
I fl size always to make sure they cycle in the field while hunting.I have to bottom the dies to the shell holder fully.Turning them back even 1/4" turn causes some friction while feeding.Maby my rifle just has a tight chamber.

<Martin BN>
posted
I turn back my fl-die about half a twist when I size the cases for my .250 AI. Works for me. No problem chambering og extracting even hot loads.
Martin

<Frank>
posted
I noticed many bench rest shooters are now FL sizing the cases every firing, they are setting the shoulders back a thousands or two. I was at the range 2 weeks ago and it seemed most of the guys were doing this method. They were shooting tight groups and the bolt goes down the same way every round. They tell me sizing your brass this way is very consistent and very accurate and does not work your brass that hard. One guy told me if you get a neck sized case that closes harder than other cases, it will be a flier. He then told me to buy a Redding type S FL bushing die with Comp shell holder kit and just set back the shoulder a thousands or two every loading. He said more than likely they will be very accurate and be reliable. He says he loads all his hunting guns this way, and they all shoot .500 or less and gets many firings sizing this way. I am going to try it with my TIKKA 223 and see what happens. What do you guys think?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Frank, most of the BR guys I talk to use a bump die, not a FL die. I think they get the results they get because they leave the body of the case alone, and only bump the shoulder, and size the neck. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
Dutch yes they use a bump die forgot to mention that but this guy says the type s bushing die can be used as a bump die also just take the guts out of it and size. But he told me to use the die as he explained to me and I will get as good or better accuracy as neck sizing especially if its a factory gun. He may be wrong and these guys change the loading procedures like underwear. But what do I have to loose I need a FL die anyway so I might as well try it and see. I have always neck sized myself but this is my only factory gun. And I have had the flier thing happen when a neck sized round is closing harder than the others. I was going to use Wilson neck sizer and seater but he said try this first you will be surprised and if it does not work than buy the neck sizer, but on a standard chamber the above method should produce accurate rounds. Ill try it and see what happens.