Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rem - Sizing for a Ruger No1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I've been thinking of possibly setting my FL die to partial sizing. I want longer case life, and better alignment of the cartridge in the chamber. The 416 Rem Mag has a slight shoulder, could I run into problems there? The rifle is Ruger No1-H. I want the cartidge to "fall" into the chamber, as the do now with a full length re-size. After they are fired, the cases needed to be "pushed" the last 1/8" into the chamber, before the block will close over the case head. If I get the die set to just "kiss" the shoulder, would it be likely that they will still chamber very easily? How would I set my die to partial size?

Here is what I think I have to do: raise the ram all the way up, screw the die down to contact with the shell holder, back die off 1 turn, then size, try in chamber, screw down 1/2 turn if not chambering right, try chamber again, then screw down 1/4 turn, chamber, then maybe 1/8 turn down again.

Any comments, suggestions, or tips would be much appreciated.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
How would I set my die to partial size?

Use a spacer ring or a pair of nickles set 180 degrees from each other under the lock ring of the die.

Trial and error will be required to get the die just right, but I don't know if it will work in your particular gun (tolerances of brass, dies, and chambers vary).

It sounds like the case is a bit wide just ahead of the belt.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Larry A. Willis>
posted
Tod,
We manufacture a new collet resizing die that works on all belted magnum cartridges. It resizes only the area "just above" the belt. This area can't be reduced with any other resizing die. You can still NK or FL size your cases. Take some case measurements in this area and see if you have dimensions over .512"

Larry

------------------
For info on belted magnums check www.larrywillis.com

[This message has been edited by Larry A. Willis (edited 05-15-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a #1H in 375 mag and neck size with a standard Hornady die. I put the neck in graphite and gradually adjust the die so I am sizing just to where the case neck hits the shoulder. My loads are not hot, but the cases chamber easily when neck sized and fall out of the chamber easily. After I resize I chamber a sample case just to make sure they will chamber easily. So far, no problem. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote