New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Looking for chrono info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks for the link Curly. I was 95% sold before reading that...now I'm 100% sold. I'm going to get the CED and the software bundle.
It will be a couple of months though before that happens. It might be spring before I actually use it.
When I do, I'll try and remember to post back and let you all know how it works out.

Posts: 47 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Shooting Chrony's give true resolution down to 1 fps, and I would bet the ranch that the others do too, though I have only tested the Chrony.

I swear there must be two versions of the Chrony in existence. I have owned two units, and have had no problems whatsoever with either. The first worked flawlessly, right up until the time a 9x18 round destroyed it. The second is the same. But you can't discount the experience of others, who have had problems.

If I were going to buy a new one, it might well be the CED. It has an optional LED light, for indoor use. There are times that would be VERY handy. They are easy enough to build... I might tack one together for my Chrony, but it is just a lot less hassle to buy one.

Forget doing stats at the range. It is a CWOT (Complete Waste of Time). You can eyeball the mean. If you want standard deviation, for a three-shot group, you can subtract the slowest shot from the fastest shot, and divide the result by 1.69 (approx 1 2/3...so multiplying by .6 does the same thing.). For a five-shot group, divide by 2.33 (approx 2 1/3... or multiply by 3/7, or .43.). Standard deviations based on small samples are ridiculously imprecise anyway.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have three Chrony units, two old F-1's and a Gamma Master. Never had any problems with any of them.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
In my opinion, the Oehlers are the best on the market today. That said, the Shooting Chronys are just as accurate, but lack some of the bells and whistles built into the Oehlers. In addition, the Chronys are affected more by changes in light conditions, and their screens have smaller sensitivity windows than Oehlers.

I have both. I now use the Chrony almost exclusively, because it is so much easier to transport and set up. It only takes me about five minutes to set up the Chrony and be ready to shoot. It's so easy to use, I take it to the range with me as part of my standard gear these days, and decide whether or not to use it after I get to the range. If there's not a lot of people shooting, I set it up. Consequently, I've got a lot more data than I would have had if I had been limited to using the Oehler!

one of us
posted Hide Post

You can get a rebuilt Chrony for around 50 bucks.
When you shoot it (and you will) they will take it back on trade. A notebook and pencil is a great read only memory.
You can measure Standard Deviation with the "High Priced"
units but that will be meaningless to you.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sorry, Matt_G...

The Oehler model 35 doesn't have any external connection for 'dumping' stats. Even the printer model will only give you the register tape. You'll need the PBL43 for that--It connects to a laptop right at the range. I own both.

Yep, found that out last night. I'm looking at the CED milanuk has, along with RSI's software. It can be seen here. It looks to be exactly what I want. I can wait till I get home to 'dump' to the software which is required for me. I don't own a laptop...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Matt_G...

The Oehler model 35 doesn't have any external connection for 'dumping' stats. Even the printer model will only give you the register tape. You'll need the PBL43 for that--It connects to a laptop right at the range. I own both.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shooting Chront Beta Master and it works just fine.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with Oehler, Chrony and a little with PACT. Oehler is superior in every way, and if you're doing a lot of load work is the way to go. The PACT was 15 years back and perhaps they have changed, but I didn't care a lot for it. I think it was accurate, but it was kind of a "busy" thing in my perspective, and I never quite learned to like it. The Chrony Beta got a lot of use only because the range I used at the time was empty on weekdays and I could reset it at will. Later on it was upgraded with a remote and printer, neither of which worked worth a damn. It still lives in St. Marys, GA., I don't. Shoulda left it as a Beta, but then it would not work at the busy range I use now. On a side note about the Chronys, I never had any reason to suspect its accuracy and they are cheap...especially when you shoot 'em.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good to know, just bought an F-1 Master, won't be buying the optional light....thx!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't give a varied input as I have only owned one chronograph. That is a Chrony that I bought back when they first came out. And its still ticking. Telling me how fast my bullets are going. I wisht I could think of another job to for it to do but that's the job I bought it for and that's all it does. Not a lot of whistles nor bells but then, I'm not too much of a whistles and bells kinda guy.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The Chrony also has an optional indoor light fixture.

Of course, you are right. Had one once. Consists of two "aquarium bulbs" and sockets. Runs on 120VAC, and quickly melts your sunscreens. LED's are a much better solution.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Chrony also has an optional indoor light fixture.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/432880

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I thank you one and all!

I think I will go with the Oehler 35P, get the third screen and long rail but pass on the printer.

Now I just need to do some research and see if the Oehler can 'dump' to some decent ballistic software.

BTW milanuk, I will give the CED a good hard look before making this decision final.

Thanks again guys.