New
Find
Notify
Tools

43 Spanish bullets?
 Login/Join

<QuarterIncherNV>
posted
I've just picked up a Remington Rolling Block in 43 Spanish and it's a firearm I've long admired and lusted after. I've looked at dozens over the years but never found one with a great bore until this past weekend. Not only did the Remington have a great bore but it doesn't appear to have been used as a tent stake like so many others I've fondled. In fact, it was so pretty I HAD to take it home. After a thorough cleaning and oiling it is now leaning in the corner where I can peek at it occasionally. Now comes the problem. I want/need to shoot it.

I promised myself years ago that I would not own another firearm I couldn't shoot. No more "stick it in the closet and hope it doesn't get dinged" type of firearm. As I'm a cartrdge collector I have roughly 40 original rounds in 43 Spanish but they are a bit costly for an extended shooting session and they are all Berdan primed. And I want to shoot this rolling block. Not just once or twice. I want to work up loads for this rifle just like any other I own.

So, I hopped onto the internet and ordered dies (expensive but not prohibitively so) and brass (expensive but reloadable).However, I can't find projectiles for it anywhere, at least not any vendor I've done business with in the past. Anyone know where I can find some .439 lead bullets in the 350 to 400 grain range?

Casting my own is not an option as I am losing the use of one arm and ....... well, you can see the difficulties that arise attempting to cast with this type of challenge. I've had to relearn reloading with one arm but casting is out. I've attempted to teach one of my daughters to cast but they are at the ackward, trip over everything stage of growth. Just thinking about molten metal and lack of coordination gives me nightmares. I'm hoping one of you will know of a vendor or commercial caster that has this type of projectile? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Allen/QuarterIncherNV
Sparks, Nevada

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get cast bullets from Buffalo Arms:
Buffalo Arms
You might also want to try their bullet made for the .43 Mauser (.446 dia). In my 71/84, the .43 Spanish, at a nominal .439 shoots as good or better than the Mauser model. The reverse could be true also...
I'm also quite jealous! I've lusted after a good shootable rolling block for years... [Smile]

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Allen

What model do you have a , Rolling Block Spanish or Argentinean ? the Spanish last models are referend as 11 mm Reformado a straight tapered case different from the original Spanish model , check the chamber dimention with cerrosafe , about mold the best are the Nei , you can find at :

http://www.neihandtools.com/

search for 439 / 500 /GC

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote