THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use a fed215m primer with my 22-250 load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hey everyone I made that stupid mistake of grabbing my 215m primers instead of my 210 primers. I am loading 35gr of varget with a 52gr a-max bullet and I was wondering if there would be e big pressure difference with these primers?

One of Us
Picture of coyotewallace
posted Hide Post
how many primers did you buy???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already loaded them before I figured it out. about 30 rounds.

One of Us
Picture of coyotewallace
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would just knock them back out an start over..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
only problem is I don't have a bullet puller.. anyone ever use these in this round? hey are very similar to cci250's and I know you can use those.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
One primer isn't going to get significantly more of a complete powder burn than another in most cases. You can't get much more than all the powder. The amount of pressure the primer itself contributes is minimal compared to the powder charge. In my experience, using a magnum primer vs a regular primer in cases the size of a 22-250 doesn't make a significant difference in pressure though it does at times in accuracy. As long as I was several grains below the maximum load, I would go ahead and shoot them...the ultimate choice is up to you.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
In some loads, changing primers has been shown to raise pressures 25%. However, from Hodgdon's data, your charge should be well below max, so were it me, I'd shoot them, but you are playing with fire here.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto what asdf said. If you are close to max in a small case then changing from a 210 to a 215 will definitely spike the peak pressure. The volume of powder simply lights off faster. In a moderate load, the effect is less pronounced.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll disagree w/ Grum. Changing to a mag. preimer, esepcially in smaller cap. cases can raise pressures quite a bit. Federal seems less likely to cause problems, but you aren't running at maxx. anyway. Some light reading:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/Pressure%20Factors.pdf
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-reloading-primers.html

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Actually I've tried magnum vs regular primers in a number of loads I've worked up with the following results:

308 Winchester: No difference in pressure or accuracy with IMR 4064.

357 Herrett: No difference in pressure but accuracy better with large rifle magnum primers with IMR 4227.

44 Magnum: No differnece in accuracy but pressure significantly higher with the magnum primers with H110/Win. 296.

I suppose part of the equation is the particular powder used as well as the case capacity.

Also, it's a fallacy that if a cartridge is labeled magnum, a magnum primer is the thing to use. Sometimes a regular primer will give better accuracy in a magnum case.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why take a chance with all the differing opinions. Go down and buy a $15.00 bullet puller and be safe. RCBS green hammer looking thing is great.

Posts: 16 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I shot them yesterday at a local prarie dog town and they worked great. no flat primers and I was still hitting pdogs at 350+ yards easily. I did go and buy a puller to pull some of the other loads I screwed up on and I think it sucks. i don't know if I am doing it wrong or what but with my stw loads I had to hit the thing like 20+ times before the bullet came out. and it won't even move my 22-250 loads. ever experienced this?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Little bitty 22 cal bullets lack enough mass for inertia bullet pullers to work efficiently. Once you get up a few calibers it works much better.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What are you baning it on? I find concrete covered w/ a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet works great, 2-3 whacks & you are good to go.
Grum, you are right abotu diff. powders/bore sizes & powders have diff. outcomes when switching primers. I have pretty much gone to std. or match primers for all my rifle rounds except for loads of slow powders over 70gr or so.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dartfreak8:
hey everyone I made that stupid mistake of grabbing my 215m primers instead of my 210 primers. I am loading 35gr of varget with a 52gr a-max bullet and I was wondering if there would be e big pressure difference with these primers?

Frankly, I doubt it! But accuracy may suffer a little......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never read about a 25% pressure spike from changing primers. As a matter of fact most data I've seen shows very little variance between them. In fact sometimes a regular primer has actually increased velocity. I would be really surprised to hear of a load going up more than 10% from primer changes.
If I had a bunch of stuff loaded I'd compare it over the chrono and then check the primer pockets for any excess expansion on the next loading. If you were loaded over 55000 psi I'd get a little nervous. If under I would be surprised to hear there is a problem.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again everyone. I tried the puller on the fake tile covered cement floor in my basment and it took a few whacks but worked. I am going to pull the loads that are close to max and start over just to be sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well getting in on this a bit late looks like,, But I happen to use Fed215 in my 22/250 with H-380. I found that the 215 primers burn a charge of H-380 very well.. Better than other primers.
I would have shot a few and found out how they grouped. Given the load you were using you I doubt very much that pressure would have been an issue.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote