Find
Notify
Tools

338 Papua Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I am looking for info on reloading my 338 Lapua Mag with RL 15 and RL 22 powders,Also using 250grain Lapua bullets, I can`t find any recent information on the loading data, Has anyone here who has tried these powder on the 338 Lapua, Would appriciate some loading data if any. thanks.

Posts: 28 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 21 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL15 is way too fast a powder for the 338 Lapua. Even RL22 is on the fast side. The Hornady 7th Ed manual lists RL22 with 250 gr bullets. Suggested starting is 74.3 grs and max is approx 89 grs in their test rifle. You may want to consider other powders like IMR 7828, H1000, RL 25 or Vit N-165. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma lists MRP(same manufacturer as rl22) from 81,9-86,3max for 250gr sierra mk.

http://norma.cc/sv/Ammunitions...ta/338-Lapua-Magnum/

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
snowman

Unfortunately guys these are the only available powders here on myside.These are the only choises i have for now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mambatz That is unfortunate that you can only access two powders. RL 15 is still too fast so I would suggest you NOT try it. Start with the RL22 and your 250 gr bullets. I would start with 75 grsof RL22 and load one round. Mark the outside of the case with a felt marker. Load one round of 76, one of 77,one of 78......... marking each case. Go to the range and shoot these at a large target. The first rounds will obviously be quite low pressure. The point of impact of thesae rounds may be quite low. As the pressure increases (say when you get to 80 grs or above) the point of impact will likely start to move up. Continue loading one gr more powder and start watching for signs of excessive pressure. Things such as primers flattening out,extractor marks on the case head. If you have a micrometer you may want to measure the case head expansion of a factory round and measure the expansion of your reloads. When your reloads expand the case head as much as a factory round you have reached max with those components, When you have determined what max load is in your rifle I would drop back 3 or 4 grs of powder and load 3 rounds of that powder weight. Load 3 rds with +1 gr of powder, then +2 etc back up to your max load. Go to the range and shoot these 3 shot groups from a rest to determine if one load groups better than the others. Hope this helps

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mambatz ----- I have shot the .338 Lapua for years. My son, grandson and I have all taken many Elk with it. Our go to load is a 225 grain Northfork bullet with 91 grains of RL-22 with a Federal 215M primer. It chronys 3100 fps and will put three touching each other when the shooter does his part. I have also had very good luck with H-1000 powder with the same primer. This load is 98 grains of powder and the bullet a 240 grain Northfork or 250 grain Barnes X or 250 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. These loads chrony 3100 to 3150 fps are nearly as accurate as the Northfork load. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snowman and phurley5, you information is vary helpful, I don`t have a cronograph but i am using boards to see the energy.
I am making some loads that you guys have discribed and will take out on the range and see what they do.
I also came across an old stock of IMR4320,iam not sure if that is an ideal propellent for this caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4320 is close to RL 15 in burning speed. I would suggest it is too fast for the Lapua.