Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Win 'Pet" loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Anyone have any personal favorite loads they'd like to share for the .375 Win with 200 gr. FN bullets in a Marlin 336?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, as I received NO responses, guess I'll answer my own question.

Tried WLR primers, 200 gr.Sierra FP bullets, and 37.5 gs. AA-1680. Bullets were seated to the cannelure and roll-crimped strongly in place.

Today I tried them at the range, shooting off-hand at just 50 yards. Six 3-shot groups averaged just a red hair over 2", with a smallest group of 1-5/8" and a largest group of 3-1/4" (low flier included). Rifle is a Model 336 Marlin, wearing an approx 60-year-old Weaver K-3, with a 1 MOA black dot (no crosshairs) reticule. Some of group sizes I'd attribute to the 1" black dot getting lost in the 10-12 MOA black bullseye. Some more might have been the temp affect on the shooter...had a high at the range today of 44-F. Most,though was just plain me. It was the first real shooting I've done in 9-10 months, due to a couple of strokes early in the year.

Last bit of info on the load...the powder fills the W-W Super brass to the base of the bullet, and recoil is definitely at least at factory level, but the load is still 3-1/2 grains below listed book Max.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cast my own, so I don't know if this will be useful to you...

The Lyman 379449 is a 264 grain gas check design. Lyman lists this bullet with 25.5 grains of 4198 for 1769 fps, I get a ded even 1700 fps. I also load this same bullet over 28.0 grains of 1680 and it gives 1900 fps. I'm shooting these loads in 375 winchester brass from an NEF 38-55.

Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JP -

I have one of those moulds but have not tried the bullet yet in the .375 Win. Will have to do so, with your load. Thanks again.