New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frankford Arsenal, Phila., Penna.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reading about chamber pressures reminds me of a story told to me by the F.A. Superintendant way back in the mid '50s.

It was decided by the boys in the lab to purposedly try to blow up different types of bolt actions. I don't know what all was included but the end result was this: the strongest action of all and impossible to blow up was the Japanese action. I acquired from the superintendant a sporterized '06 with a Jap action. I was about 15 years old then and kept the rifle for a few years without shooting it much. I didn't like the fact that the action cocked on the forward push of the bolt and this is prolly the reason why the action was not very well accepted here.

I've never read or heard of any tests done like this before or since. If you know of such it'd be interesting to find out about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hatcher's Notebook covers the blowup tests.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho

P.O. Ackley conducted tests of the strength of the various types of military actions that were being imported following WW II. His tests are documented in his Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders. Is it possible that these are the tests the Frankford Arsenal Super was referring to and the details became lost in the translation?

I am under the impression that the tests documented by Hatcher involved only the US Service rifles.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hatcher, did I say Hatcher? Ackley's the guy.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said....now I have a good excuse to get another book or borrow one and look into it. I guess the bottom line is the final result of the strongest action. The Jap
It very well could be you're right and I've transposed some info from the guy at F.A. who gave me the rifle.

Thanks bud. clap